Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone..just wanted to let you know that I made it through Lilly's first show! She was the only pup in her class for sweeps and there were only 3 total entered into it..she got second in the best of sweeps.

In the regular class there was suppose to be 4 but there was only 2 of us..she came second in that class. Most importantly we got our feet wet and learned alot. I got lost going to the venue and I went by myself so had to lug everything inside..next time I'm bringing my husband's dolly!

I did get to meet and learn some things off of Lilly's sire's owner as well as her 2 friends that have 2 of her pups for showing (half-siblings of Lilly's). I also had 2 other golden people tell me ringside what I did wrong and what to do next time. It was great learning experience for me.

Lilly was pacing again, she started doing that Thursday at handling class. Something we have to work on. Apparently the other pups that her sire's owner had just started doing the same thing and they are about the same age. Must be something in the air!

I also got her eyes checked and they cleared, now got to send in the paperwork for CERF tomorrow and that will be one thing done. I know your suppose to do cardiac clearing at about a year old.. would it be too early to do it on Dec 4th (her b-day is Jan 28th), there's a clinic that I may try to go too if it's not?

Thinking may do a January or Feb. show..will see how we do in handling class next few weeks and go from there. I did get a bad migraine afterwards..hoping that I don't get them after each one..first one was stressful and I ate lunch a little late..next time make sure to eat on time! Wish my computer would load pictures..would love to share! Hopefully soon!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found my own answer regarding the cardiac clearance on offa.org. Have to be 12 months to get a clearance ..now I know for sure ;-).

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
sounds like a great day! Most importantly, I hope both you and she had fun!

Reactions: OnMyWay2MyDreams

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Good for you and Lilly! It is such a whirlwind at first.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good for you and Lilly! It is such a whirlwind at first.
Yes it was a whirlwind..that's a great way to describe it! Actually being in a show and not on the sidelines is soooo much different! I'm glad I did it thought..I learned a bunch!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
It's probably better to do cardiac clearances even older that 12 months. I know of dogs checked close to one year that were fine, and then at 15 months or older had an issue...

I would also be careful showing until a "fix" the pacing...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
def. want to fix the pacing..she was doing just fine before last thursday..also noticed she is coming into heat. She's been super clingy with me. Not sure if that's what is getting to her?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hi everyone..just wanted to let you know that I made it through Lilly's first show! She was the only pup in her class for sweeps and there were only 3 total entered into it..she got second in the best of sweeps.

In the regular class there was suppose to be 4 but there was only 2 of us..she came second in that class. Most importantly we got our feet wet and learned alot. I got lost going to the venue and I went by myself so had to lug everything inside..next time I'm bringing my husband's dolly!

I did get to meet and learn some things off of Lilly's sire's owner as well as her 2 friends that have 2 of her pups for showing (half-siblings of Lilly's). I also had 2 other golden people tell me ringside what I did wrong and what to do next time. It was great learning experience for me.

Lilly was pacing again, she started doing that Thursday at handling class. Something we have to work on. Apparently the other pups that her sire's owner had just started doing the same thing and they are about the same age. Must be something in the air!

I also got her eyes checked and they cleared, now got to send in the paperwork for CERF tomorrow and that will be one thing done. I know your suppose to do cardiac clearing at about a year old.. would it be too early to do it on Dec 4th (her b-day is Jan 28th), there's a clinic that I may try to go too if it's not?

Thinking may do a January or Feb. show..will see how we do in handling class next few weeks and go from there. I did get a bad migraine afterwards..hoping that I don't get them after each one..first one was stressful and I ate lunch a little late..next time make sure to eat on time! Wish my computer would load pictures..would love to share! Hopefully soon!

Welcome to the wonderful world of being an owner/handler. It sounds like you had a great time and have been bitten by the "show bug". You will learn more each time you show. There are lots of things to learn and it takes some time-just have fun and it will come!! :)

Jennifer
Harborview

1 - 9 of 9 Posts