Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a book I am reading called "Genome" light animals within a litter tend to be shy while their darker litter mates are more outgoing. I wondered if any of the breeders have noticed this.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
According to a book I am reading called "Genome" light animals within a litter tend to be shy while their darker litter mates are more outgoing. I wondered if any of the breeders have noticed this.
I watched a documentary on something about this. It showed the development of human babies, golden retriever puppies and I think it was pomeranian puppies, from conception to old age. One thing it did say was that animals with the "red hair gene" - can't remember the scientific name, had more energy and I think were more hot tempered then the lighter. They said this with people and animals, and they were comparing the lighter Goldens with the darker.

The field goldens do tend to be darker - maybe there is a little of something behind it.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I have two blondes and niether of them is in the slightest shy. My first golden was blonde and not shy and my in-laws goldens were blondes and not shy. My guess is that this is not true.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Is the author Matt Ridley?
I think it's Theodore Geisel

Light pups, shy pups.
Your pups, my pups.
Big pups, small pups.
We like all pups.
Unless they're peeing on the floor.
Then they must go out the door!

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
Not only that, but if they are talking about a red gene, I don't believe Goldens have that as a color option, technically speaking. I would have to look up the color article from the GRCA News, which did a great job of explaining color in Goldens, including black spots and other mismarks.

I do know that when fox breeders specifically bred for certain coat traits, such as silver, they found that they had also changed the temperament of the fox..I believe they found the fox exhibited kit-like behavior even as an adult, for example.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The author is Matt Ridley. The reason I don't think it's junk science is that the book lists references for each chapter and the parts that are in my field are accurate.

I am going to look for that GRCA article, thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts