Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I wanted to get an opinion on doing a light jogging exercise for our golden retriever Chai.

As I've heard, it's not recommended to have strenuous activity for Golden Retrievers until they are around 2 years old. I currently take him for a ~15 min walk 3 times a day however, it does seem he is still quite energetic and excited (compared to the days when he gets to play with his puppy buddies for 20~30 minutes). That left over energy usually results in some unwanted behavior towards the evening.

Because I can't take him for longer walks, I'm wondering if it's ok for me to introduce some very light jogging (5~5.5 MPH) for 15~30 minutes. I'm guessing at that pace he may just be fast walking so it doesn't seem strenuous, but I'd like to hear your opinion. I'm asking the same question to my vet, but I also wanted to hear the communities opinion.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I personally would not jog my 1 year old for 15-30 min on concrete. That's just me. Soft surfaces like grass and dirt are better. On leash exercise tends not to be as stimulating anyway for ours. Do you have a fenced in area you can play with him in? You can teach him to do retrieves - that is great exercise

·
the party's crashing us
4,427 Posts
Young sporting dogs have a huge appetite for exercise and not sure where you read that "strenuous" exercise is not recommended -- because it certainly is!
The key is the type of exercise. Repetitive, forced exercise on hard surfaces like jogging are NOT recommended. I personally would not bike or jog a dog until he is 2 and has had hips & elbows xrayed.
Young goldens thrive on copious amount of free exercise...running, swimming, hiking, playing with other dogs. Indeed, a 15 minute leash walk is completely inadequate exercise for a young golden. In my opinion, leash walks DO NOT COUNT for ANY exercise. Dogs need the freedom to RUN and go all-out at least once a day.
Hunting training is a perfect outlet for their exercise.

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
Totally agree with K9-Design. As long as it's not forced, not on cement or concrete and the dog can decide when it needs to rest, running, playing ball, swimming, hiking are ALL not just okay but pretty much necessary for a young Golden. My dog was out for a minimum of two hours every single day at that age getting her energy out (broken up over a few outings in the day).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Unfortunately having extended hours (even split in multiple session) without leash is not really an option for me as I don't have runnable backyard (living in metropolitan area, not rich) and work/family commitments. Dog park is certainly an option, but I've had bad experiences with a dog park with my previous dog so I don't want to take the risk. I'll not take the option of jogging for at least until my vet says ok, but I'll continue to seek ways to take out his energy.

·
Registered
484 Posts
We raised one of our puppies in a city while living in an apt. What we did was put her on a long line in grass in a quieter city park. I taught her retrieves and practiced recalls and had her chase me on a long line. I'd go there every day after work. Do you have anywhere like that near you?

·
Kate
22,737 Posts
I think the main thing is that people looking to get golden retrievers should know that this is a sporting breed. The dogs need someplace to run off leash.

Free exercise/unforced exercise on soft ground (grass or dirt paths or going across fields and beaches) are ideal for this breed. It's not exercising the dogs until they are too exhausted to move.... it's giving them some outlet to be a dog with room to run.

While this is a sporting breed.... This is not a jogging partner breed. Most retriever breeds really aren't. Among else - the 2 retrievers I know of personally (owned by friends) who were repurposed as "training partners" for the owners who were basically getting back into shape and training for marathons... the dogs ended up with major league expensive surgeries for torn ACL's. o_O I think the main thing is whatever people do to warm up and cool down their muscles so they don't pull or tear anything.... they don't do that really with dogs (I know agility people do some, but it's really not the same thing).

I do jog my dogs - especially if I'm at a dog show and I am on a 2nd or 3rd day and on the road where I can't exactly turn them loose (I love shows on fairgrounds with lot of open space connected where I can sneak the dogs out and literally just give them a little off leash running time). But I guarantee my idea of jogging is NOTHING like what people are referring to as "jogging with their dogs". It's never about tiring them out. I don't want my dogs tired when we go to the ring.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I currently take him for a ~15 min walk 3 times a day however, it does seem he is still quite energetic and excited (compared to the days when he gets to play with his puppy buddies for 20~30 minutes). That left over energy usually results in some unwanted behavior towards the evening.
If you don't exercise your dog enough, both physically and mentally, at the evening, before bed time, dog will start to misbehave since dog need to let out the excess energy.

Our pup is 3 months old, and with him, we go out 4-5 times a day, spanning 30min to 1h per outing (few times, we've been out for 1.5h). Yours is 12 months and gets only 3 times, up to 15mins out. Like, why?
Oh, if you can find time to jog with your pup for 15-30mins, why not extend the walk time to 30mins? Or do you get bored?

In any event, your answer has been given in this topic. Longer outings result more energy spent. But don't forget mental exercise. Since even while dog is well exercised physically, mental exercise is, in a way, even more important than physical exercise.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
leash walks DO NOT COUNT for ANY exercise.
👍
I think the main thing is that people looking to get golden retrievers should know that this is a sporting breed. The dogs need someplace to run off leash.
👍

Besides everything else, jogging is not fun for a GR.

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
I agree with everything K9-Design and others have said - these dogs need and enjoy strenuous exercise. However, I'd also add that golden retrievers were created to be working dogs, and as such, they also need and enjoy training. My dog is active, driven and from performance lines (he's my agility partner), and if I want to tire him out, I take him to obedience class. This is a dog who will run forever in the forest and still demand more at the end of the day. But an hour of concentrated obedience exercises and training, where he has to think and learn and apply, and he's done. He'll sleep all evening after that.

Not only that, but you'll get a dog who's much more fun to live with because he's well-trained, obedient and tuned into what you want.

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
I have had Goldens for 20 years with no yard, nevermind a fenced one. I also live right downtown. So I do know where you are coming from.

Do you have a car? Drive to areas where you can let your dog run - on a long leash to begin, while you are training recall, which means a 25-30 foot lead. What about lakes or pools? More and more cities now have pools specifically for rental by the hour or dogs. It's pricey though. Dock diving facilities in the summer are much more reasonably priced.

I agree with you about dog parks. I don't use them. But there are several options for off leash walking in more natural settings near me (parks that have off leash trails or areas that are huge and not fenced, but the boundaries are part of the natural surroundings). I also drive an hour+ out to the country for hunt training and tracking. Not saying you should or must do this, but just highlighting that the city likely doesn't hold all the options.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi!

I wanted to get an opinion on doing a light jogging exercise for our golden retriever Chai.

As I've heard, it's not recommended to have strenuous activity for Golden Retrievers until they are around 2 years old. I currently take him for a ~15 min walk 3 times a day however, it does seem he is still quite energetic and excited (compared to the days when he gets to play with his puppy buddies for 20~30 minutes). That left over energy usually results in some unwanted behavior towards the evening.

Because I can't take him for longer walks, I'm wondering if it's ok for me to introduce some very light jogging (5~5.5 MPH) for 15~30 minutes. I'm guessing at that pace he may just be fast walking so it doesn't seem strenuous, but I'd like to hear your opinion. I'm asking the same question to my vet, but I also wanted to hear the communities opinion.

Thank you in advance!
Yes! Definitely seems beneficial for my 1 year old male golden. I take him off leash at a safe isolated (no cars or dogs) area to run along with me for about 30 - 50 minutes almost daily. He loves it. Vet said his muscles are in great shape. He's also intact and I don't plan to have him neutered. Best for the hormones and joints.
No way is a walk enough. My pup needs to release his energy and play, run and "zoomies" in the grass off leash. Get your boy out away from other dogs to run free and exercise. Best to you.
😉😊

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi!

Thank you in advance!
First of all you sound like a loving caring pet parent. It's true 'do not strain the pups joints' under 18 months.
One last thought: "Strenuous" would be if you had him or her on leash and you're forcing them pulling them along side you as you jog or bike ride. Don't do that!! They need to be free to stop smell and pee. My boy stops and I jog slowly back around to him, call and he chases me. Also I carry a ball so he chases it off and on.
Again find a safe area with little distraction, no car-area and green grass or dirt type and practice off leash. Jog, walk and chase and let pup chase you. Mental stimulation can be as simple as hide and seek as well. My pup loves to search and then find me. All the while I have my eye on him. You can hide behind a tree. I play with mine this way. 😀🙏😃 I can see my boy smiling as he joyfully bounces with his floppy ears. Zoomies in open areas or large wide circles are the cutest to watch. You'll find your your style!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi!

Thank you in advance!
As a breeder I don't allow jogging or what is termed as "unrelenting stress on growing bones and joints". It's unrelenting because it is on a leash and forced exercise. If you are tossing a ball or fun stuff like that the pup will quit when tired but on a leash they are in a forced position. Doing a few short obedience courses also is exercise and can take up some of the brain space he has to burn off. Hide a few things in the yard and ask him to "find" them. This will pass as he gets older..try to think constructively and not just pounding it out of him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts