Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Dear Golden Retriever Forum,

I hope this post finds you well and healthy. I understand that Light Colored Golden Retrievers are looked unfavorably upon in this forum and that one should always select health over color.

Nonetheless, I am aware that "cream" or "light colored" is a relatively common coat color found in the Golden Retriever Breed and the Breed has a broad spectrum of golden color coats ranging from extremely light to extremely dark. I also understand that there is European Bloodlines and American Bloodlines.

Can someone recommend a reputable breeder who is known to breed lighter colored Golden Retrievers either in the United States or Canada. I am willing to go to Canada and import the dog (with rabies clearance and all).

Of course, I want to prioritize the health of the Golden Retriever and ensure him or her has all the OFA clearances. I want to reiterate that I am open to all colors for the sake of longevity and health, however, if I could have a preference "cream" or "light colored." Still, I want a healthy puppy we can welcome to our family, enjoy morning walks on the beach, snuggles in the winter, and so much more :) that will live for 11-13 years (and hopefully longer with teeth maintenance, annual vet visits, a lean/healthy diet, and exercise/entertainment).

Also, I understand that the lists for puppies are very very very long. I am willing to wait till 2022 or 2023 for a puppy!

Thank you so much in advance. If you could be so kind, please post only relevant to this topic. I understand that many have an "unfavorable" view of light colored goldens here. 馃惗

I have referenced:
Canadian Breeders:

Registered
I hope this post finds you well and healthy. I understand that Light Colored Golden Retrievers are looked unfavorably upon in this forum and that one should always select health over color.
I hope you will find that the issue on this forum is not with "light colored golden retrievers". It is with breeders who are using marketing buzzwords to extract higher prices for their goldens. Arguably worse, the marketing hype is typically compounded by the fact that many of these breeders are using dogs imported from eastern Europe with questionable (and, often, unverifiable) health backgrounds.

With that said, there are many breeders who have goldens that trend to the lighter end of the spectrum. So, if you're willing to wait for a well-bred golden, you shouldn't have any real issues.

Premium Member
This thread is probably going to give you the best/most comprehensive list of breeders to investigate: Ethical "English Creme" breeders

Also, if you tell us what state/area you live in someone might be able to provide more specific suggestions (I'm assuming from your name it's Michigan? ;) ).

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

Registered
You had asked about pictures. Here's a thread with pictures of Kona. She is not an "English Cream" (nor "Creme" 馃槄), but she is on the lighter-end of the spectrum of colors for a golden. Kona is registered in the AKC registry as a "light golden", but I much prefer our veterinarian's description of "champagne". 馃榿

As an FYI, I have been told that you can get an idea of adult coloring by looking at the tips of a puppy's ears. This seems to have held true for Kona. Since you seem interested in the lighter colors, and goldens' coats tend to darken as they mature, this might be information you can use.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you all for the recommendations. This is the first post of many....when we get our newest family member (eventually 2022/2023/2024), I will ask about grooming, food, and best practices. I think far too often people do not meet the needs of their dogs, like simply brushing their teeth!

I have found Halia Goldens [Florida] (Robin in a member of the forums; she seems to breed with dogs from the Netherlands, UK...), Blackpool [Canada], Eden Kennels [Canada], and Kyon Kennels [Canada].

Any advice on how to contact the breeders? Many look overwhelmed by the high volume of inquiries. I don't want to overwhelm them even more...maybe better to wait till the pandemic is over. Gee... COVID really made things hard in a bunch of expected and unexpected things.

I am based in Southern California. Should I contact the GRCLA? Any other leads?

Registered
I'd say you are safe with any of those. I'd suggest going to their site, and touching base that way- though Halia is a member here so perhaps PM her.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
@Prism Goldens Thank you for your advice! I am going to wait a little contact Robin. She seems very very overwhelmed by requests as her website states: "Our waiting list is full for the next 2 years. Please do not inquire about availability. We're sorry for the inconvenience."

@SoCalEngr Beautiful pictures of Kona! What a happy pup! I'll note the ears, but not a huge deal.

@pawsnpaca Thanks for the link to another similar post. I looked at some of those albeit some are hard to find or look like they are no longer breeding. I am based in Southern California.

Thank you to all!

Super Moderator
This board definitely doesn't have any problem with light gold goldens. This board has a problem with unethical breeders who use buzz words like "english cream/creme" to describe their dogs, which far too often come from unhealth tested pet quality animals, and they charge obscene prices while not adhering to the COE. So do not worry that you would be frowned upon for wanting or having a light gold golden here, just choose one from someone who follows ethical breeding practices.

Registered
Thank you all for the recommendations. This is the first post of many....when we get our newest family member (eventually 2022/2023/2024), I will ask about grooming, food, and best practices. I think far too often people do not meet the needs of their dogs, like simply brushing their teeth!

I have found Halia Goldens [Florida] (Robin in a member of the forums; she seems to breed with dogs from the Netherlands, UK...), Blackpool [Canada], Eden Kennels [Canada], and Kyon Kennels [Canada].

Any advice on how to contact the breeders? Many look overwhelmed by the high volume of inquiries. I don't want to overwhelm them even more...maybe better to wait till the pandemic is over. Gee... COVID really made things hard in a bunch of expected and unexpected things.

I am based in Southern California. Should I contact the GRCLA? Any other leads?
You may want to try Star Crowned. She works withEuropean pedigrees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts