Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 4 year old golden named Jax. He is awesome!!! So much energy and life. Pitfall is he has epilepsy. He was diagnosed around age 2 after his 4th seizure. Was put on Phenobarbital and responded really well to treatment. He went almost 2 years seizure free...... and then BAM. About a month ago he had a breakthrough. He has grand mal seizures. This past Thursday was traumatic and eye opening for me and my husband. He clustered. ? He had 4 seizures within about 8 hours. We both had to leave work. After his 4 out personal vet advised us to go to ER after oral claim and extra Pheno was given. He was given an IV of Keppraat the ER and has recovered fully. However, we are still on edge. They never bothered us too bad before. I mean, of course you hate to see it but ever since the cluster we are just in high alarm. I feel like every time he moves we are watching him. Scared to leave him to go to work..... etc. Just looking to see if anyone else can give some feedback or tips on this. Or a positive story would be very uplifting about now.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Sorry I can't help but will offer a reply just to bump your question back up on the active board. I hope someone with experience can help you.

·
Leslie
719 Posts
I'm sorry I didn't see your post until now. How is Jax doing? Anymore seizures? My Helo has been 4 years seizure free this month. I adopted him in 2011 and he had seizures and clusters of seizures every couple of weeks. He was on phenobarb which didn't help and then was put on potassium bromide which helped a ton. He was seizure free for a year or so just taking the KBr. Then I changed food and four years ago he seemed to be allergic to this food. His face swelled up and 2 hours later he had a cluster of 3 very bad seizures within 45 minutes. I thought I was going to lose him. I immediately got rid of the offending food and changed brands and he hasn't had a seizure since then! It's really a miracle. I have no idea what was in the food besides the fact it was fish flavored. I don't let him have anything fish related and he's eating pretty much the same food and treats for the past 4 years. I don't want to introduce anything new that could possibly have something that would cause him to seize. Helo is quite old now, I would guess he's 11 or 12. Last week I took him to the vet because he was getting weaker and seemed to have lost weight and worst of all, wasn't as excited about his food. They ran blood work and found a high amylase so he has pancreatitis. He's on a low fat canned dog food (which he seems to be tolerating. No seizures as of yet) and he seems a lot perkier.

I know most dogs' seizures aren't caused by food ingredients but I wanted to tell you my story and you at least can keep the thought in the back of your mind. The food that Helo reacted to was Nutro Natural Choice fish flavored. I won't buy anything Nutro brand now in case there is some other ingredient in their food that causes seizures.

I hope Jax is doing better and his seizures are controlled. I'm really lucky Helo hasn't had one in 4 years. When he does have them they are really bad, he goes blind and paces and I have to help him pace around the house because he can't see for a few hours. It's really scary and upsetting. I am still on alert at night (that's when he usually seizes) and if I hear anything unusual I'm wide awake but as the years go by I don't worry as much. Good luck to you. I hope things are going well.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I also missed your post. I am sorry to hear about Jax seizures. I am sharing your struggles and worries as my Gatsby suffers from seizures also.

The first seizure he had at the age of 4 and now he is almost 5. After the first episode, we went to neurologist who recommended medication. I declined, wanted to wait and see the frequency and severity of the seizures. I thought we were in a clear, as he didn’t have any seizures for the next 6 months. On the day he went for rabies, lepto vaccinations, I also gave him bravecto and heartguard he had a seizure. I attributed this seizure to bravecto or vaccines, but maybe it was a coincidence. No more bravecto for him and we are taking chances with ticks, so far no ticks. Again, he was free of seizures for more than 4 months and just 3 days ago, he had another one.

I believe his seizures are related to either food, environmental factors or pesticides. He is on a human food and I am trying not to introduce too many new ingredients. However, the reality is that after a few months free of seizures I tend to relax and give him some extras. Maybe it is a heartguard as I just gave him 2 days before the seizure, but I am scared to stop it in case we have to deal with heartworm later.

As you and Hello's mum are saying the nights are the worst. The smallest movement, even if Gatsby just wants to change the sleeping position and we are fully awake, lights on. When he senses the beginning of the seizure, he wants to be close to us, preferably on my laps. During his last episode, he made just half a way to the bed from the bathroom floor where he loves to sleep. I don’t think he is losing the conscience as he tries to maintain physical contact all of the time. He looks at me, he wags his tail, he cries so loudly which is heart breaking to listen, but his paws are curled and he can’t stand up. Couple of minutes later he is fine, but panting heavily and doesn’t want to part with me for the next 2 hours or so, so no sleep.

I hope Jax doesn’t have more clusters and you come back to this Forum.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I too have only just seen this post and as there are no further follow ups about Jax I'm hoping everything has settled down for you.
As others have mentioned, full blown grand mals are horrible and upsetting to witness. As many know on this forum I have Kai who is now 5 1/2 , he has been having seizures since he was 2 1/2 and unfortunately for us the clusters come around every couple of weeks, with milder ones every evening. But he keeps going and up to now, so do I, though at times I'm weary.

It sound like Jax's might well be controlled with medications and I do hope this is the case and both your lives will not be troubled too much by this devastating disease. My thoughts are with you both, it's not easy, but please let us know how both of you are doing X

1 - 5 of 5 Posts