Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flip has a game he likes to play while I'm grinding his nails called "try to lick the dremmel." I would imagine it would hurt if he were ever to be successful, any ideas on how to keep his tongue away? He is very persistant.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Having been nicked by a Dremel on many occasions myself I can tell you that it would hurt. I don't have to cut my guys nails but would suggest having Flip very tired before you try to trim and also handle his paws at every opportunity so he is used to having you restrain a paw.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Stick a glob of peanut butter to the roof of his mouth. He'll stay busy working it off.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
sorry, no suggestions, but had to admit the mental picture made me laugh!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
um, ya know, I do have a suggestion.
Have you tried letting him smell and lick it to his heart's content while it's off? Then he might realize it's nothing to be interested in.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Danny is the same way. We just use the "leave it" command. We have also used peanut butter smeared all over a plate to keep him occupied. That is actually more successful! I like Quiz's suggestion, too. I'm going to try that the next time I do Jasper's nails since he hates the dremel.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Blush does the same thing to any & all grooming tools. it is her nice pitiful submissive way of saying "I don't like that." that is her answer to anything uncomfortable, if we even look at her sternly, she starts to lick us. we tried the peanut butter, which just resulted in me & my tools being covered in grossness... so when she licks she gets a sharp "eh eh" or "leave it". they we get playtime & treats at the end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts