Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My 8 month old baby has recently started licking his paws and belly as well as our sheets A LOT. It started suddenly and lately it hasn't been as bad, but for awhile we couldn't get him to stop. Since he was also licking the sheets, I don't think it was an allergy. But there was nothing for him to be stressed or nervous about. Could it be from boredom? It's cold here, so nothing floating in the air would still be alive, but I did think it might have been salt from the sidewalks that got on him.

I was worried that this would lead to hot spots, but I checked him over and never saw anything. Then on Friday he came home from daycare with a little scratch on his ear right where it joins with his head. He had been groomed that same day, and they said it didn't happen then. It's possible he was just playing a little rough, and it's healing quickly and doesn't seem to bother him. No scratching or anything. But it occurred to me after both of those things that I don't know what hot spots look like. How would I know if he had one? And watch causes them?

Lots of questions here, I know. But I'd appreciate any help.

·
Cedar's Mom
851 Posts
In my experience, hot spots have been red, oozing sores. They develop and get larger very quickly. Licking can cause and aggrevate hot spots, but nothing you mentioned sounds remotely like a hot spot. Be glad!:--big_grin:

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
An allergy would be my first guess. Either from food or his environment. Check with you vet for some better advice.

·
801 Posts
One of my golden's Denali has had not 1 but 2 battles with hotspots all before 1yr. She will be 18mo. the end of this month. I didn't even know she had one until Dallas kept licking the spot by her ear/neck. Of all the goldens Iv'e had, never had I seen a hotspot. In her case it did start with a scratch, I thought nothing of it, thought is was just from ruff housing.
Is he scratching there alot? I would think it would be to cold for the hotspots now, but I'm not an expert. Here are a couple of gross pics of what Denali spread out to be. And she was taken to the vet in a matter of hours and it still spread this fast, nasty. Keep in mind this was an extreme case, don't want to scare you.

Attachments

·
Cedar's Mom
851 Posts
Great pics of what a hot spot looks like! The first time I saw one, I was amazed at how quickly it spread - and felt like I was a terrible dog-mom.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
They are really nasty and will double in size overnight. Just keep an eye on the scratch to make sure it doesnt start into a hot spot. Good luck

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm...now I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a hot spot. It looks nothing like that and is much much smaller. It hasn't spread at all in the last few days.

But what might cause the licking if it's not an allergy? Boredom? Or is this just something goldens do?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Hmm...now I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a hot spot. It looks nothing like that and is much much smaller. It hasn't spread at all in the last few days.

But what might cause the licking if it's not an allergy? Boredom? Or is this just something goldens do?

Do you use fabric softener sheets in your dryer with your sheets?
Had a pup here that was NUTTY for fabric softener sheets - would steal them from the laundry basket....and would lick bedding....hanging towels etc...

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
One of my golden's Denali has had not 1 but 2 battles with hotspots all before 1yr. She will be 18mo. the end of this month. I didn't even know she had one until Dallas kept licking the spot by her ear/neck. Of all the goldens Iv'e had, never had I seen a hotspot. In her case it did start with a scratch, I thought nothing of it, thought is was just from ruff housing.
Is he scratching there alot? I would think it would be to cold for the hotspots now, but I'm not an expert. Here are a couple of gross pics of what Denali spread out to be. And she was taken to the vet in a matter of hours and it still spread this fast, nasty. Keep in mind this was an extreme case, don't want to scare you.
Wow, that's pretty mean looking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts