Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Maggie Mae's Mom Too!
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting here so hopefully one of our many experts may help. I just noticed on Tucker this morning that he has licked all the hair off of one of his forearms, and it is just clear white skin underneath with no visible sign of an irritation?? Obviously it would become an issue for him if I had not noticed him licking it this morning. I have done:

cleaned it with betadine
Wrapped in gauze and taped it around it
Put the cone of shame on him to prevent him from licking it further

Thoughts? Obviously I can call his vet on Monday, but am trying to avoid a trip to the e-vet. I don't see anything that would indicate a hot spot either..... Poor guy. Nervous? Axiety? boredom? He gets Massive amount of exercise so I don't think it's lack of that.... Just kinda concerned. Any insights would be great, Thanks.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Ive seen dogs do this when stressed, obsessive,...or when trying to displace pain...
You were right to cone...I would not bother to wrap it if the skin has not opened or broken down...air is good...
IMHO - not the type of thing to go to the E-Vet for....an appointment with your regular vet to have him help you evaluate her for pain is a good plan.

Reactions: Tuckers Mom

·
Maggie Mae's Mom Too!
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is definitely Obsessive, especially when focused on the ball at the park. :) he will tail chase as well, and I have broken him of that habit with clicker training..... Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Maybe you can give him benadryl to address anything that is itchy and sedate him a little to break the cycle?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
If you google lick granuloma, dogs... you will find a ton of information on it. I had a friend whose golden started it when stressed, but then it continued because of the result of the initial licking. Kind of reminds me of my son who would get the "ring of fire" around his mouth. He'd have chapped lips and lick them and lick them and then it would hurt worse and he'd have the ring around his mouth. Thank God he got out of that stage a long time ago, would be wierd with a 32 y.o. with a ring around his mouth.
beth, moose and angel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts