Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Six Months – six months ago Liberty had her ultrasound that showed several large tumors on her spleen. Needle aspiration was inconclusive however the likely culprits are lymphoma or mast cell. Because of the size, quantity and location of the tumors. We opted not to go ahead with the splenectomy, but rather offer ‘care and comfort’ for as long as possible.

At the time, we were hoping for 6 more days….maybe 6 more weeks, but to have been given 6 months is truly a gift. Sweet Liberty has surprised us by living this long and without loss of quality of life.

Does she have any bad days…yes, usually one day per month… Does she now require pain meds…yes… Has she had to give up running/climbing/jumping with wild abandon…yes…
However she has been able to keep leisurely strolls with a few sprints every now and then, jumping on the bed for bedtime snuggles, belly rubs, bitey-face with Tracer, games of ‘find it’ and 'tug', as well as a healthy appetite for food including daily tastes of ‘special occasion’ treats.
She still happily offers her favorite ‘tricks’ in hopes of more cookies. Her list of what brings her joy still far outweighs her list of "can no more".

This morning she celebrated the day by pulling packing material out of a cardboard shipping box and ripping it to shreds and then joyfully tossing the paper and dragging the box all about the kitchen. A mighty fine way to celebrate.:)

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I am so happy for all of you! I'm wishing, hoping and praying for many more happy days together and many more good times! Merry Christmas!!

·
flykelley
675 Posts
Enjoy every second that you still have with Liberty, such a great story to hear she is still with you and giving you some love everyday. Goldens are so giving in love. Best wish's for Liberty and your family.

Mike

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Love that Miss Libby. Hold her tight!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Aww, this is so great! I am so glad she has been able to hang on for 6 months, and hopefully many more!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
You are soooo lucky to stil have her! Merry Christmas!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Wonderful to hear this. Hope you have many many more days/months like this.

Merry Christmas to you and your crew. Here's hoping Joy & Love abound in 2012.

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
Love these happy updates. May you have many, many more months with your sweet Liberty. Obviously, care and comfort agrees with her. :)

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
How wonderful!!!! Wishing you many more months of happy Libby time!!!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
This just makes my day! I am so very happy for you and for Liberty, I hope you have many, many more happy days together making memories.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Oh Mary, I am so happy that Liberty is enjoying her life!! They live in the moment.. are such good role models for us!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts