Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning everyone...

What a last two days it has been! Lexi started labor April 14th in the evening, after being up with her all night. She was so uncomfortable and restless, walking, pacing and panting. She and I Slept maybe two hours. She was in labor all day....delivered her first puppy at 11:25 on the 15th! So....we officially have a TAX litter! LOL! My friend Lori with all the Doxies came over and helped me, but she wasn't here when that first baby came! She delivered 6 puppies between 11:25 and 2:55. That 6th puppy was very difficult. The cord had to be cut with her vulva pulled back, as the baby was still barely out. Then the 7th one was born with no sac around it, and she retained that placenta. No more puppies for two hours, and called the Emergency Hospital at 5:00 yesterday morning. They said that two hours was still in the safe zone...that it was after four hours we really needed to worry. My Vet opened at 7:00, and we were on their doorstep!! So exhausted, poor Lex and us too! They did an x-ray, and she had 4 puppies remaining. The Vet did two shots of Oxytocin, but got just two weak contractions, with no progression. At that point, they said they needed to get them out of her, and didn't know if the pups would be still be alive. They did the C-section, and three were alive, one puppy was stillborn. I was so THANKFUL that Lexi was exhausted...but OK at the end of all this. We got home from the Vets last night. Never left her and the puppies. Had to stay there with the puppies, and wait for her to wake up and be safe to take home. We all were so EXHAUSTED, after two days of no sleep.
We now have 10 BEAUTIFUL babies!! Lex was HUGE.....went in weighing 104 pounds for her check up, two days before delivery to get a head count. They thought there was 10...but that 11th one was hidden. Sadly, we lost the last baby. Lexi weighed 78 pounds when I took her home today. So....26 pounds she lost with the delivery! The puppies were HUGE! Five boys, and Five girls. The smallest puppy was 14.2, three at 15oz., three at 16 oz., one 17 oz., one 18 oz., and one 19oz!!! No wonder poor Lex looked like a little barrel!
Wanted to let you know....FINALLY...off to bed, after only resting for an hour tonight. We are ALL so TIRED and drained from everything. Lexi could NOT have had the final four babies on her own. The placentas were wrapped around the puppies legs, and that is why the contractions stopped, as she could not make any progress with birthing those four remaining puppies. She was starting to just get weaker, and I knew she needed help immediately.
Lex is on antibiotics and pain pills for the next week. They gave her a pain shot about 1:00 and an shot of antibiotic as well. So I started her on pills for pain and antibiotics last night. She will be on them for a week.Hope you enjoy the pictures...they are so Precious! Lexi is the BEST Mom ever...and LOVES her babies so much. Last time for her to be pregnant. She will be spayed in 3-4 months.
Hope you all enjoy the pictures....they are just so PRECIOUS!!
Thank you all for your thoughts and Prayers for Lex and the babies. Turned out we NEEDED every single one of them....and Lexi and I thank each and everyone of you! :smooch:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Awww, CONGRATULATIONS LEXI!!!!!! Job well done. Thankfully you were there for her the whole way!!

Can't wait to see pics as they grow. Very cute already.

Get some much needed rest!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wow... what a week for you guys. They are all so cute. So sorry to here about the last pup... but so glad that everyone else is doing great! Keep the pic's coming!!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
AAAHHH, so glad Lexie is a-ok. That's one huge litter... they're all so precious. Yes, rest is due all the way around!!!!

·
Summer and Phoebe's mommy
690 Posts
Wow, what a long, exhausting labour for you all. So sorry she lost a pup, but congrats on all the others. How wonderful. The pics are just too cute and she looks like a doting mom. Keep us updated. We love baby golden pics.

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
Thanks for the pics and update--now y'all rest!

·
Registered
117 Posts
So sweet - thanks for sharing. Lexi looks so content!

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
The puppies are gorgeous... glad to hear that Lexi made it through a difficult labor.
Congratulations to her...:appl:

·
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker
3,045 Posts
They are gorgeous. Congratulations! :)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Thank goodness Lexi and the puppies are ok. It sounds like a long and stressful time. I am sorry about the one puppy. She looks like a devoted mother but very tired. Give her big hugs for a great job. Those puppies are big and healthy looking. Get some rest and come back and post lots more baby pics. That last one is just so sweet.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts