Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, am hoping we can get some advice.

It looks like Lexi (19 weeks old) has a UTI. My daughter has noticed her squatting a lot, and trying to wee when there's not a lot there. She has spoken to the emergency vet who suggested putting some glucose in her water to encourage her to drink more... that's it!

Anyway as its the weekend, out of hours vet visits are expensive!! Does anyone have any suggestsions so we can get her through to Monday morning...

I've never experienced this before, Izzie (Lexi's mum) has never had anything like this so I don't have many suggestions for my daughter Amy...

Thanks!

Tanya

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Maybe google this online....but a customer of mine had a pup who had repeated UTI's and the vet told her to put 1/2 cup of cranberry juice in her water bowl (along with the usual amount of water) to encourage her to drink it, and to help change the pH of the urine.
I would strongly suggest, however, taking her temperature. If it's elevated (sorry, don't know the Celcius conversion, you know how we are here across the pond), then even tho the emergency vet is expensive, you'd best take her. If it remains normal, you can probably wait until Monday.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice. I think we're going to try cranberry juice. Lexi is behaving normally, but we'll take her temperature just in case...

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Misty is in the middle of a UTI right now...I thought she may have one, but waited a few days...ended up she did and I feel bad for waiting, but shes on antibiotics now and feeling better. I have also heard oabut the cranberry juice in the water...no sugar added kind. If she doesnt have a temp, I think you can wait.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
no sugar added is great....but be sure not to use anything with artificial sweeteners added to it. some of them are REALLY bad for doggies!

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
We had this problem several times when Tinkerbell was a puppy. Lots of water and cranberry juice. And a trip to the vet Monday. Most of us that have had this problem with a puppy have waited an extra day or so, sometimes just becasue we didn't realize there was actually a problem.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I recently thought my puppy had a UTI, so I did quite a bit of research on the internet (turned out to be nothing). I saw lots of suggestions for apple cider vinegar and yogurt. There is also a natural supplement you can give, I forget the name now, but almost every website recommended it. I think it was called K something. From what I remember, when it passes through it attaches to the bacteria causing the infection and causes it to pass out in the urine. This is a natural remedy that is said to eliminate the need for antibiotics.

Jodie

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently thought my puppy had a UTI, so I did quite a bit of research on the internet (turned out to be nothing). I saw lots of suggestions for apple cider vinegar and yogurt. There is also a natural supplement you can give, I forget the name now, but almost every website recommended it. I think it was called K something. From what I remember, when it passes through it attaches to the bacteria causing the infection and causes it to pass out in the urine. This is a natural remedy that is said to eliminate the need for antibiotics.

Jodie
I like natural remedies, might look into that one. I agree that the internet gives information on... anything! Sometimes though it can be too much!! Some things I find out make me more worried...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts