Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lived in my current house almost 20 years, in a single family residential area that is about a mile from a city park and lake, and I do not recall even a whiff of a skunk in our walking area until about a year ago. It was about a half-mile from our home and it was only for one or two random mornings. Late last year I smelled a skunk odor as I walked out the front door for an early morning, pre-dawn walk. I made sure to keep Toby close by so he wouldn't get skunked. Anyway, later that day I saw a dead skunk in our alley, run over by a car. I wasn't too thrilled to know one was so close by but I hoped it was just a random thing again. Then this past week I've noticed a very distinct strong skunk odor on one of the streets on our walking route, just a couple of blocks away. Instead of going away, it's always there, just about the same in consistency. I don't know how the residents on that street stand it.

My questions--how long does skunk odor stay in the atmosphere once it is released? Can it be days or is it a matter of hours? Do skunks live as families/colonies? Where do they like to hang out--bushes, gutters?

I can deal with the squirrels, raccoons, coyotes, bats, possums and the rare bobcat we encounter on early morning outings, but these skunks have me rattled! I'd rather one or more not homestead anywhere near us!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Oh, yuck Anne. Have your dawn, fresh peroxide recipe and ingredients handy just in case.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
depends on how much humidity and breeze! LOL
On a hot, steamy, still, August night when you have your windows open and are awakened from a dead sleep by the nauseating smell..it lasts FOREVER! LOL!

Its still pretty strong in the morning and for the next 24 hours you will catch a whiff every now and again...but its not nearly as strong.

On a dry, breezy, September day....you might catch it for a few hours..then it is gone.

If your dog gets nailed...all bets are off! :) It will be strong on the dog for a good 4-7 days....and then reawaken EVERY time the dog gets wet for a good 4 months!

In Maine, neighborhood skunks will den up and give birth under porches and sheds...they do like it fairly quiet & dont like cats or dogs...its not common to see them as they travel when it is dark...if you see a skunk in the daylight its likely a sick animal.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
My Finn was skunked a few weeks ago, and I washed him in Palm Olive, but he still stinks. I have kind of given up the fight on the smell and just live with it.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the skunk primer! My guess is there is a group of skunks under a shed or underneath a porch on that street. Is it possible that the skunk sprayed something and it got on a vehicle and the stink stays on until it is washed? It seems to be strongest near a pick up truck that hasn't moved since the smell started.

Hubby and I walked by the street (didn't go up) just now. It is very breezy and I didn't smell the faint odor I usually smell in that spot. Maybe it will be better tomorrow.

We had a situation a few years ago where a bat swooped between hubby and me twice while we were walking both dogs. It bothered me because that is unusual behavior for a bat and I called the Wildlife expert for our city's animal control. We had a very nice discussion about bats, skunks, raccoons and coyotes and the risks and diseases they carry. He warned me about rabid bats and skunks, which are the biggest rabies carriers in our part of the city. He also said if I see them in daylight to steer clear and if I ever spot a dead bat on the street to call Animal Control and report it.

I need to find the skunk odor "recipe" thread, just in case!

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Years ago, I kept smelling a skunk odor near our shed (door always kept closed, but there was a few inches of gap under the door). Someone from the wildlife dept (I think if I remember right) told me there is a variety of skunk that is very small (spotted skunk maybe?) which could be squeezing under the door and when it did, its scent sacs could be getting squeezed a bit, hence the odor. He told me to hang a bag of mothballs on the door knob inside the shed, as that would deter the skunk from wanting to go back inside the shed, then to fix that gap under the door.
I did both and that was the end of the skunk problem.
In our area, it seems an unusually high number of skunks were killed on the highways this fall around here. What always astounds me is why people keep running over the thing again and again (cause eventually it is just flattened on the pavement).

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may hang some mothballs around our fence line and near our own tool shed. I'd hate to have them come live with us! Thanks!

I think we are seeing them more in our neighborhood because the drought has brought a lot of things out in search of food. We are seeing more snakes in the area (we had a baby rat snake in our swimming spa house) as well and I read it was drought related. I hope the drought lifts this summer--for so many reasons!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retrievers-main-discussion/93460-baking-soda-hydrogen-peroxide-dish-soap-recipe.html#post1373652
Posted by Paige and Lily (thanks):

The Skunk Remedy Recipe
In a plastic bucket, mix well the following ingredients:

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap

for very large pets one quart of tepid tap water may be added to enable complete coverage.

Wash pet promptly and thoroughly, work the solution deep into the fur. Let your nose guide you, leave the solution on about 5 minutes or until the odor is gone. Some heavily oiled areas may require a "rinse and repeat" washing.

Skunks usually aim for the face, but try to keep the solution out of the eyes - it stings. If you have any cuts on your hands you might want to wear latex gloves for the same reason.

After treatment, thoroughly rinse your pet with tepid tap water.

Pour the spent solution down the drain with running water.

NEVER, ever, store mixed solution in a closed bottle, sprayer,etc. Pressure will build up until the container bursts. This can cause severe injury.
Is there another one that works?

I'm getting the Nature's Miracle from Petsmart just in case.

After reading a few threads, this is bothersome. We do not need skunk spray in Toby's eyes given he is still recovering from his double cataract surgery.

Hopefully this won't happen, but....thank goodness we are in walking distance of the veterinary clinic, just in case..

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
whew! I was afraid toby had already been sprayed. I'm glad he has not especially because of his eyes.

first off, if you tink one might be in the yard turn on alllll your lights and even use a floodlight to clear it out before you let Toby out there. Skunks do not like bright light so they will head for the hills (or the neighbors and won't those boys have fun:)) once bright lights come on.

As you know, Jack seems to think the black and white kitties should be approached frequently. the dawn/baking soda/ hydrogen peroxide will help, but there is a faint eau de stink for yes, a month or so at least that is just brought to the surface by any small application of moisture - even running in the dew filled grass can set the stink bomb off since Jack is so low to the ground.:yuck:

Skunks are active most from dusk and dawn. If you are going to put out moth balls or repellents (you can get critter ridder at Lowe's), make sure the skunk isn't in residence since you don't want to effectively be fencing it IN. They like to live under sheds/ decks/ etc. If there is any possibility there is one in your yard, put a layer of flour in front of that area in a 6" to 8" band so when/if the critter walks across it you will have tracks showing if it was coming or going.;) if you put a flour band around your fence you can see if anything is coming into your yard by checking for tracks. it's kind of fun in the wodds, but I could see would be a little bothersome to find things were "visiting" in suburbia.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Late last year I smelled a skunk odor as I walked out the front door for an early morning, pre-dawn walk.

My questions--how long does skunk odor stay in the atmosphere once it is released? Can it be days or is it a matter of hours? Do skunks live as families/colonies? Where do they like to hang out--bushes, gutters?
Early, morning pre-dawn is pretty prime skunk time. How strong is the flashlight you take with you? A really, really bright light will generally send them scurrying for cover.

Skunk odor in the area just might mean a dead skunk. Maybe it would stay stinky that long if it sprayed a building or fence, but not just in the air.
I doubt it would have sprayed more than once and if it did something was bothering it and it should have vacated the premises.

You could get some critter ridder powder and throw it out where you think it is or maybe ask animal control for a trap. that kind of depends on how helpful your animal control is though.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Dallas Gold

Dallas Gold

We have an open deck and have lived in this house over 8 years!
2 years ago Smooch and Snobear ran under the deck and Ken and I
smelled a horrible smell-guess what! A SKUNK WAS under the deck and sprayed them both. We washed them both in Dawn Dishwashing liquid and our neighbor told us of a concoction to make up in case there is a next time. I will let you know what it is.

It took about a month for the smell to leave our house!!

A neighbor said she saw a family of skunks crossing the street in our neighborhood and going into someone's backyard.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whew! I was afraid toby had already been sprayed. I'm glad he has not especially because of his eyes.

first off, if you tink one might be in the yard turn on alllll your lights and even use a floodlight to clear it out before you let Toby out there. Skunks do not like bright light so they will head for the hills (or the neighbors and won't those boys have fun:)) once bright lights come on.

As you know, Jack seems to think the black and white kitties should be approached frequently. the dawn/baking soda/ hydrogen peroxide will help, but there is a faint eau de stink for yes, a month or so at least that is just brought to the surface by any small application of moisture - even running in the dew filled grass can set the stink bomb off since Jack is so low to the ground.:yuck:

Skunks are active most from dusk and dawn. If you are going to put out moth balls or repellents (you can get critter ridder at Lowe's), make sure the skunk isn't in residence since you don't want to effectively be fencing it IN. They like to live under sheds/ decks/ etc. If there is any possibility there is one in your yard, put a layer of flour in front of that area in a 6" to 8" band so when/if the critter walks across it you will have tracks showing if it was coming or going.;) if you put a flour band around your fence you can see if anything is coming into your yard by checking for tracks. it's kind of fun in the wodds, but I could see would be a little bothersome to find things were "visiting" in suburbia.
Thanks! I know we have critters in our yard--squirrels, possums and raccoons because we battled them with my summer garden. We even had a possum family nesting one winter. I wanted them GONE, but hubby stuck a camera up there and shot this:

They stayed until the spring, moved out and didn't come back.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I remember the possum picture. You know if that had been me, she would still be living with me and her name would be Blossom.:curtain:

Jack has been sprayed countless times and has always (I guess) shut his eyes so they have never been hurt. His face might stink, but his eyes have always been fine.:crossfing

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
My lab mix got sprayed in the face by a skunk a couple of years ago. I hosed him down outside, washed him with baby shampoo, dog shampoo, did not help much. My vet then recommended buying Thiotrol shampoo and Thiotrol spray, both by Vet Solutions. He also gave me the hydrogen peroxide recipe,which I did not want to use, because I did not want to make my black boy a bleach blond, lol.
Anyway, the Thiotrol shampoo and spray worked wonderfully! I bought it at the vet's office.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I remember the possum picture. You know if that had been me, she would still be living with me and her name would be Blossom.:curtain:

Jack has been sprayed countless times and has always (I guess) shut his eyes so they have never been hurt. His face might stink, but his eyes have always been fine.:crossfing
:):) Blossom the Possum!! So cute!!

They got to the point where they didn't play dead with me when I went out back and they were out. I swear some mornings they waited out to send me Good Mornings telepathically! They weren't afraid of us or the dogs, probably because they were high enough they knew we couldn't get them.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I have possums and racoons come to my bird feeders at night. I was wondering why I had to refill the feeders so often in the summer,when the birds eat less seed in the summer, lol. Well, my doggy boys were barking one evening and I checked to see what was going on. Yep, first night there were two possums, then a racoon, lol. I now put the bird feeders in the shed over night. The possums and racoons still visit though, in hope of finding bird seed that was spilled, lol.
I don't mind as long as they are not trying to get into the house. I love all critters, well, except snakes. I feed birds, squirrels because they raid the feeders, deer, hummingbirds and apparently I was feeding possums and racoons, lol.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Tomato juice or Massengill Vinegar Douche

Yep, I know you think I've lost my marbles. :D

Country friends whose pets are often skunked swear by two products to remove the odor. The first is tomato juice, used as a bath product and massaged into the fur and skin. The other is is Massengill douche (yes, the feminine product - that isn't a typo), in the vinegar variety, used like a conditioner.

I have no idea why either would work, but these are the things I would keep on hand knowing skunks are nearby.

Good luck!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have possums and racoons come to my bird feeders at night. I was wondering why I had to refill the feeders so often in the summer,when the birds eat less seed in the summer, lol. Well, my doggy boys were barking one evening and I checked to see what was going on. Yep, first night there were two possums, then a racoon, lol. I now put the bird feeders in the shed over night. The possums and racoons still visit though, in hope of finding bird seed that was spilled, lol.
I don't mind as long as they are not trying to get into the house. I love all critters, well, except snakes. I feed birds, squirrels because they raid the feeders, deer, hummingbirds and apparently I was feeding possums and racoons, lol.
In addition to the possums and raccoons you may also be feeding rats! :uhoh::hyper:That's what several of our neighbors discovered. There was one nice and good-hearted neighbor who bought a huge feeder, like a large BBQ grill, and there were so many rats feeding the neighbors finally convinced him to stop it. He also attracted possums, raccoons and squirrels and there was a neighborhood email discussion about hiring an exterminator to help with the issue....that was nixed because most of us knew our neighborhood is filled with all sorts of critters and the best thing the affected neighbors could do would be seal up vulnerable spots in their houses and not tamper with the ecosystem by killing every squirrel in the 'hood. Anyway, the neighbor with the big BBQ sized feeder has a pool--I wouldn't want to swim in that thing!

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Woody got sprayed a couple years back and I tried the dawn / peroxide mix and didn't have much luck. So the next day I went to my vet and got some "Skunk Off" shampoo which really seemed to do the trick. He did smell for a bit when he got wet but otherwise it worked great. Might be worth a try.

Pete

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Old dog Elliot got skunked enough times, when he would get sprayed...he would run into the house straight to the bath tub, push the shower curtain back, climb in and whine till I got the gallon jug of white vinegar and quart bottle of V-8...

I'd pour the V-8 in a bowl and Elliot would drink all of it...helped his breath!

The Vinegar, I would rub it through his thick coat. I let it stand for 10 minutes...rince then regular Zodiac shampoo. This worked great for us...I don't remember any after smell. :)

Good Luck!

Tailer is 6 and has not been sprayed yet...close one night...the skunk must have been on our porch when we went out the door...Tailer flew after but I hollered "No!". He turned tail and came back to me...Good Boy! I sniffed his nose and we were safe....wheeewww! I got my flashlight, turned on the porch light and looked real good. I think it ran under the neighbors laundry room!

I like Skunk Tails!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts