Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many paths lead to the GRF. Some have found it while grieving for a lost pet; others have come looking for training and nutrition tips. Some have dogs facing serious health issues, others are searching for a new family member. I joined a little over a year ago while grieving my heart dog and have found the GRF to be the best resource on the web for golden retriever lovers. And I enjoy it!

Let's remember that, while our commonality is the love and care of this wonderful breed, each one of us has a different set of circumstances. Let's not jump down someone's throat because she chooses to get a puppy for Christmas, chooses to buy an "English-style" golden or chooses to use an alternative training method. People come to the forum because they have an interest in the breed, are looking for education and support and are hoping to share their experiences with their pets.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I haven't read the threads you are referring to but as someone who loves this breed I came here for the best information from experienced educated owners/breeders.

I have learned so much. Including things I was very ignorant about, like training, the fad designer scam breeders and many health issues of goldens.

I think when correcting people who aren't well informed , it is important to be polite and not rude. But for me, I want the facts to do the best for my beloved dog, even if that hurts my ego alittle.

·
Kate
21,672 Posts
People come to the forum because they have an interest in the breed, are looking for education and support and are hoping to share their experiences with their pets.
I completely agree with this... I don't like personal attacks, piling on, general sniping that seems to happen so often at the drop of the hat.

But by the same token people who are new to the forum or old... they have the responsibility to hold up their end of the bargain. If they ask a question and get an answer, they shouldn't go on like they have been purposely attacked if they don't like the answer. They themselves must try not to be so quick to judge the person offering the advice or the reasons why they are offering the advice. It isn't always personal or specifically directed at them. I think in most cases, thankfully, it is always the situation or question itself.

Especially if people do not support what they feel are unwise decisions and decide to caution the other person. If only "whatever you feel is good is good" responses are allowed, then that's not going to be very helpful to those people in the long run.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Let's not jump down someone's throat because she chooses to get a puppy for Christmas, chooses to buy an "English-style" golden or chooses to use an alternative training method.
I don't think it's to "jump down someone's throat" as it is to try and educate those that are reading the thread. There are many "lurkers" that never post but read a lot of the threads. Usually, and I don't mean everyone, the people that post asking us how we feel about decisions that they've made or might, (which means probably), make are simply looking more for support and not differing opinions. When differing opinions arise, (and they always do, and that's a good thing, BTW), that's when feathers get ruffled.

When members give an opposing view, which is usually due to their experience, to those that ask our opinions, we're allowing readers to see both sides of every situation. I believe this leads to a much more educated and informative discussion.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have to agree with all of the above. I was very uneducated before coming here, and now that I am, I am an even better mama to my girl. I now need to remember where I used to be and that many people out there are as uneducated as I was, by no fault of their own. It also scares me that since I don't have a fence that I will never be allowed to adopt or purchase a reputable golden ever no matter how good a parent I am lol.

·
Kristy
9,807 Posts
I agree that no one deserves to be spoken to unkindly, and we should always treat others the way we wish to be treated. This doesn't change the fact that we don't learn and we don't grow if we aren't exposed to different ideas and opinions. This forum should ultimately be about the betterment of the Golden Retrieve breed.

We are a very supportive group for anyone who wants to share cute puppy pictures or get tips on house training. We are kindness itself to anyone who needs support for personal problems like illness, death of a heart dog or divorce or loss of a job. We donate generously to people we don't know to help finance dog adoptions or pay for medical procedures. We give our time to drive transport legs to get dogs to their forever homes and we don't ask to be reimbursed in the face of over the top gas prices.

Yes, sometimes we should all proof our words just once more before we hit "post quick reply.". But for the most part we are pretty good folks who just want to spare someone else from making the same mistake we did or making a choice that is generally not in the best interests of a living breathing creature.

Let's follow the Golden Rule when choosing our words, be respectful. But we shouldn't be discouraged from expressing dissenting opinions just because it's not what someone wants to hear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts