Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a lightbulb moment outside scooping Toby's poop in a rainstorm just now-Toby's stool firmness is solid and normal while he is on Tramadol.

Toby's always had softish poops--softish firm during good times and very soft in not so good times. We are treating him for a cobalamin and folate deficiency and it has helped with firmness, just not as much as I hoped. I noticed, immediately after his cataract surgery, that his poop firmed significantly. He was on a variety of eye drops, Rimadyl for anti-inflammatory purposes, and Tramadol for pain purposes. We dropped the Tramadol after a few weeks and his stool became a little softer, but formed and still scoopable. We dropped the Rimadyl and I didn't see a decrease in firmness or scoopability. Last week we started both Rimadyl and Tramadol back for an orthopedic issue. The stool became firm again. I just watched Toby make a deposit and there is no straining at all so he's not constipated--just nice solid normal stool.

My question is this--why does Tramadol firm his stool? It's just a pain killer, not an anti-inflammatory. If anything I thought Rimadyl might help with firmness, but it's not the Rimadyl for Toby--it's the Tramadol!

·
Registered
491 Posts
One of the side effects of Tramadol is constipation. Perhaps since Toby is usually looser/softer, his version of med induced constipation is finally having normal stools? In any case, atta boy! I'm sure your mom really appreciates easy to pick up poop :)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
My Toby can't take tramadol because of it's constipating effects!!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
oh and also, it made him really tired and lethargic. I wonder if how "quiet" Sir Toby has been has something to do with the tramadol??

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is interesting because I knew Tramadol was constipating, so to see Toby with normal (and easy to pass) stool, I was surprised, pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My mother is on Tramadol 24/7, and we are finally getting her to use a stool softener as she has problems w/constipation. She also increased her fiber intake to help things along, too.

Reactions: Dallas Gold
1 - 6 of 6 Posts