Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So worried about our pup. He went to doggy daycare for the first time Thursday. Came home exhausted but ate fine. Friday, he woke up and wasn't interested in eating. He started drooling a lot which is so unusual for him. He wouldn't eat dinner without a lot of coaxing from me. Today, he won't eat breakfast. Had a few bites. He's been drinking water still. Appears to be pooping and peeing normally, hard to tell with the snow but poop looked fine. He's incredibly lethargic. Doesn't want to play, just wants to lay down and sleep.

I don't know what could have happened at daycare that would throw him off so much. Going to call the vet but wondering if anyone has had similar issues? The drooling, not wanting to eat, lethargic?

thanks ☹

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,182 Posts
It might be expected that he would be tired after a day of day care, but with the drooling, being lethargic and still not eating, I would be concerned.

Good you are calling your Vet, hope you're able to have him checked.

·
Super Moderator
1,879 Posts
Hi all,

So worried about our pup. He went to doggy daycare for the first time Thursday. Came home exhausted but ate fine. Friday, he woke up and wasn't interested in eating. He started drooling a lot which is so unusual for him. He wouldn't eat dinner without a lot of coaxing from me. Today, he won't eat breakfast. Had a few bites. He's been drinking water still. Appears to be pooping and peeing normally, hard to tell with the snow but poop looked fine. He's incredibly lethargic. Doesn't want to play, just wants to lay down and sleep.

I don't know what could have happened at daycare that would throw him off so much. Going to call the vet but wondering if anyone has had similar issues? The drooling, not wanting to eat, lethargic?

thanks ☹
Do you have a thermometer? Can you take pup's temperature?

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
Have you asked the daycare place if something happened? I’d be concerned about an injury. Best of luck with the vet visit, hope you get answers.

·
Super Moderator
2,024 Posts
That doesn’t sound good, it’s normal for them to be tired from daycare but coupled with the lethargy and lack of appetite + drooling, that sounds worrying. Best to check with the vet, it could be a variety of things from obstruction to illness etc...

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,746 Posts
This puppy has a disease. He needs to go to the vet today. How old is he? The younger he is, the more urgent this is. It may be a virus or bacterial infection, it could be poisoning, it could be internal injury or inflammation. But whatever it is, this puppy needs a veterinarian's intervention right now. Close your computer, shut down your phone, and head to the doctor's office.

Reactions: Hildae

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to the emergency vet since our vet is closed. They did the whole work up. Bloodwork came back fine, he had an unexplained fever of 104.4. Xrays looked normal, no obstruction. They gave him fluids and an anti-nausea medication injection. We are supposed to feed him a bland diet at dinner and see if he eats.

Obviously the medication won't work instantly, but he's still drooling and sleepy 😔 unexplained fever makes no sense. He clearly still has a fever because he's been panting and then shaking when he gets inside from being out in the snow. Hopefully he eats tonight and he just picked up some bacterial thing? If not, I do want to see our vet ASAP. Otherwise we'll have to go back to the emergency vet. 😫

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This puppy has a disease. He needs to go to the vet today. How old is he? The younger he is, the more urgent this is. It may be a virus or bacterial infection, it could be poisoning, it could be internal injury or inflammation. But whatever it is, this puppy needs a veterinarian's intervention right now. Close your computer, shut down your phone, and head to the doctor's office.
He's 16 months ☹

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you asked the daycare place if something happened? I’d be concerned about an injury. Best of luck with the vet visit, hope you get answers.
We did call the daycare and they said that they didn't notice anything, they don't give food, no injuries noted, he had a blast and was going crazy. So he likely overdid it but I'm not sure how he would get a fever from that😅

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
It's at times like this that you really wish they could talk. I hope he improves soon. Kind thoughts to you. Let us know how things go.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this. I hope your guy gets better soon! One thing that struck me is we just went through a crazy drooling situation with our 9 month old girl. Suddenly she started drooling puddles worth, it happened a day after daycare (they are amazing and I contacted them but nothing out of the ordinary happened that day, and we have snow on the ground, so she didn't get into anything). She was still eating, but sleepier than usual. The vet checked her out and couldn't find anything obvious in her mouth, throat, etc. but determined it was most likely tonsillitis and gave us some meds to give her, including an antibiotic just in case. After about 5 days (and a return trip to the vet) the drooling vanished as quickly as it had come. I'm still not sure what actually happened. Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update!

He ate the bland food last night and again this morning. He seems to be doing better. More himself, more awake, more playful, less drowsy. No more drooling. He was so lethargic, it was awful. It must have been some bacterial/viral thing? The fluids & medication definitely helped. He pooped and peed normally so hopefully it's gone and out of his system. Thanks everyone ❤

1 - 18 of 18 Posts