Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a great way of helping your pup/dog of having a really good run without the fear of them running off, and also training them for re-call training etc and keeping them 'safely' within your vacinity.

I 'finally' found a training lead that can be bought from 30 feet upto 100 feet long from Ebay :)

I can now take our pup to the dog park/fields put on her mega long lead, and as she reaches a certain distance I do the re-call - and she is learning really quick.

Obviously this also allows the pup/dog to run and mooch around at her own pace and I don't have to worry about her running off.

I really would recommend these training leads, and it gives you the peace of mind knowing you can still reel her in if needed.

Hope that helps everyone with our 'mega energetic' pups :)

·
Registered
820 Posts
This does help! Do you have a link??? I have been dying to find anything off leash for Lucky to do. I feel our walks are just not enough. He needs to lose weight and I saw it come off at first but not anymore (well I also found out my kids were sneaking extra treats to him). Anyways, he REFUSES to play in our backyard....something very odd. I have been too afraid to take him to a dog park so I did not know what else there was.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I used Ebay, I just typed in 'dog lead' (this is the Ebay UK site) and I found them :) Any problems in finding these leads, let me know.

And I agee, a walk even on my extendable lead of 20ft is not long enough for Daisy to let off all that steam and those 'mad minutes!! lol

This new lead has given Daisy a whole new lease of life, she absolutely Loves it!!!! and is totally safe!! and makes time at home such a difference, we can now actually have 'calm/quiet' times, all her pent up madness/energy is allowed to let loose on her new long lead, HURRAH!!! :)

Regarding her training on it, I am so suprised how her re-call at such a distance is going so well, she's getting used to me being at distance with her, but is coming back to me when I call her, it really is wonders!!.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
I used to go to the local hardware store and buy a nice heavier "string" , or light weight rope, and used that to teach recall, especially for the Tervurens. I usually would buy 75-100 feet. Worked like a charm :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts