Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined this forum after I got Vinnie but now I want to talk about Lucy. She was the love of my life.

Lucy was one of Toni's Ten. Toni was in a shelter in Indiana, pregnant with her pups. She was slated to give birth and then be euthanized along with all ten of her puppies as soon as they were born ( the birth was already in process). A rescue organization called Vicki's pet connection caught wind of this and drove through the night to get to Indiana before the shelter opened. They got to them just in time and brought Toni and her 10 pups back to Michigan.

All were adopted as well as Toni and I was blessed with the sweetest dog I ever had. Lucy was a Lab/Golden/German Shepard mix.

We live in a neighborhood with lots of kids and we always had Lucy on the porch with with us. The kids all loved her to pieces. When Lucy was 6, we decided to have a little party for her and about 6 kids joined us. When she was 7 there were about 15 kids and we she turned 8 we had 27 kids. That would be her last birthday party. Losing Lucy was a heartbreak that resonated throughout the neighborhood.

She died of cancer just before her 9th birthday. I had already started making plans for the next birthday bash.

I look back with fond memories. Here are some photos I would like to share. The party was all for Lucy. She even got lots of presents from the kids.

ImageUploadedByPG Free1356998025.744843.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1356998048.200368.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1356998558.974295.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1356998587.320995.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1356998726.838616.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
God Bless Lucy!

I love how you had the neighborhood birthday parties. Thanks for sharing your story about your special girl.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Thank you for sharing the beautiful tribute to Lucy! Really warmed my heart. The pictures are beautiful. Losing a beloved is heartbreaking. Lucy made a wonderful impact on your life and still contributes at the Rainbow Bridge. She is surrounded by many and loved by all.

·
Poppy's mom
224 Posts
Thank you for sharing Lucy's story! How priviledged she was to have birthday parties with kids! Poppy would LOVE that! I should think of something special I could do for her on her birthday. On the other hand, I do a lot a things especially for her all year round! :D Anyway, thank you for letting us know about pretty Lucy!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Reactions: Vinnie's Mom

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Thanks for sharing Lucy's story. I can see how special she was to you, and it certainly looks like you gave her some wonderful birthday celebrations.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
What great memories you have of Lucy. Many years ago a co-worker had a Sweet Sixteen party for her sheltie. I still remember.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,133 Posts
I plan to make Vinnie's birthdays very special and I spoil him everyday but the annual summer birthday bash has been retired with sweet Lucy.

I can understand why you wanted to retire the summer Birthday Bashes, but it would be such a wonderful way to honor your sweet Lucy if you continued them.

Perhaps ask for donations be made to the Rescue Group that saved her mom and the entire litter in lieu of gifts as a tribute to Lucy so they can continue to help other dogs in need. The Donations could be made in Lucy's memory.

She was a beautiful and very special girl, you have so many wonderful memories of her.

·
Keltey's Mom - Jennifer
256 Posts
Thanks for sharing your pictures and stories. Lucy was a beautiful girl. She looked like she had a great time at her parties. Such great memories you must have of your years with her. :)

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
How lucky you are you had Lucy and how lucky Lucy was to be with you. Thank you for telling us about her.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can understand why you wanted to retire the summer Birthday Bashes, but it would be such a wonderful way to honor your sweet Lucy if you continued them.

Perhaps ask for donations be made to the Rescue Group that saved her mom and the entire litter in lieu of gifts as a tribute to Lucy so they can continue to help other dogs in need. The Donations could be made in Lucy's memory.

She was a beautiful and very special girl, you have so many wonderful memories of her.
I think that's a great idea. We really enjoyed putting these parties together. They were more for the kids than anything else. Last year I even made a homemade piñata :). I also made party favor bags for all the kiddos.
I have supported this rescue from time to time over the years. I could give a list to the kids with the invitation of the types of supplies they need ie paper towels, pet food etc. I would not want to ask for much as they are kids. We never asked for or expected gifts for Lucy either.
With Lucy's birthday being June, the weather was always nice. Vinnie's birthday is April 12th and its usually still too cold here in April.

Thanks for all your nice comments! I have a smile on my face.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,133 Posts
I think that's a great idea. We really enjoyed putting these parties together. They were more for the kids than anything else. Last year I even made a homemade piñata :). I also made party favor bags for all the kiddos.
I have supported this rescue from time to time over the years. I could give a list to the kids with the invitation of the types of supplies they need ie paper towels, pet food etc. I would not want to ask for much as they are kids. We never asked for or expected gifts for Lucy either.
With Lucy's birthday being June, the weather was always nice. Vinnie's birthday is April 12th and its usually still too cold here in April.

Thanks for all your nice comments! I have a smile on my face.

That's a great idea, it would help the Rescue Group, be a wonderful tribute to Lucy and a way to keep her memory alive, and also a lesson for the neighbor children of paying it forward or giving back.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I'm in tears reading your tribute to your beloved Lucy! Thanks so much for rescuing her and giving her such a beautiful life! I'm so sorry for your loss of her to cancer at such a young age. Though she lived a short time, you and the neighborhood children gave her more love and happy memories in her short life than many golden kids ever have in a long lifetime. Your love and memories will never die.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
I plan to make Vinnie's birthdays very special and I spoil him everyday but the annual summer birthday bash has been retired with sweet Lucy.

It really does seem to make it that more special when the neighborhood kids get involved. Lucy was a lucky girl and so were those kids.

I still put a milk bone out on my deck for my bridge girl Sammie's birthday...it's always gone the next morning.:)

Pete

1 - 20 of 21 Posts