Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Missing Tasha, Sky, & Ral
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do people always find it necessary to comment on the number of goldens that are part of our family? I am getting a little tired of the rudeness!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We get that all the time and it drives me crazy. Tyson (coming home next weekend) is going to be our third dog, plus we have 4 cats. We even had one person once say to us, "You guys have too many animals!" I would love to be able to say, "Well, you have too many kids!"

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Hey, once I had someone ask if I wasn't dating because I would feel like I was cheating on my dogs.

·
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really can't believe the things people will actually say. I had someone ask me on New Years Day "who do you think you are St. Francis?" Now you would take it as a joke but it was said with such disgust in their voice I didn't even know what to say!! Why do they find it necessary to comment at all. Most of the time the conversation is initiated by the other person or family member.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I do not know why, but maybe if they have one or two. They wonder how it wold be to have four, i have two goldens, one choc. Lab, so four doesn't seem too many to me.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Some people have no filter. I come from a family of seven children. You'd be astonished at some of the rude things that people have said to me (and my mother) over the years. My youngest sister was born when my mother was 44. People actually had the audacity to ask my mother if she was an accident!! Rude comments are often made out of ignorance.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
People sometimes just want to react and don't know what to say, so out comes something stupid sounding. I honestly don't think it's always with malicious intent. However, it seems to me that if someone does feel the need to make a comment it can always be tempered by "You have 120 dogs? That must be a lot of work, but fun, too!" Take it from whom it comes, for what it's worth.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
We have 2 dogs and 5 cats. I get comments all the time. Mostly they are from people who don't have any animals and don't know what it's like to love or be loved by one (or in our case, many). I just smile and say, "You can't have just one!" Then I go home and curl up with one of my furry beasts. They people who make the comments are the ones I feel sorry for.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I really can't believe the things people will actually say. I had someone ask me on New Years Day "who do you think you are St. Francis?" Now you would take it as a joke but it was said with such disgust in their voice I didn't even know what to say!! Why do they find it necessary to comment at all. Most of the time the conversation is initiated by the other person or family member.
I'd turn it right around on them... thanking them profusely for linking you to such a revered patron saint !!!!! Being the nerd that I am, I'd probably also say something like, "I've even changed my middle name to Francis to always remind me of my mission. You don't know how much it means to me for you to be so perceptive of my calling. Thank you."

·
Registered
774 Posts
Oh, its my pet peeve, too, no pun intended! My bil is good for constantly remarking that we have too many pets - 2 dogs, 3 cats. It bugs me. I think he drinks too much, but I never comment on how many Jack Daniels live at his house.

Kris

·
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tyson (coming home next weekend) is going to be our third dog,
Congratulations on the new puppy. Can't wait to see pictures of Tyson.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I'd turn it right around on them... thanking them profusely for linking you to such a revered patron saint !!!!! Being the nerd that I am, I'd probably also say something like, "I've even changed my middle name to Francis to always remind me of my mission. You don't know how much it means to me for you to be so perceptive of my calling. Thank you."
HA HA I love this. I am going to remember to use this the next time someone comments on us having 2 dogs.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Why do people always find it necessary to comment on the number of goldens that are part of our family? I am getting a little tired of the rudeness!
Because now days people feel they have the right to say or ask anything that comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I have 3 dogs and 10 cats, plus 2 foster kittens right now. People think I'm nuts. Sometimes I think I am, but then again, I've been in peoples house with only a few pets, or even worse, no pets and a bunch of kids, and I am not afraid to say that my house is much cleaner and definitely much tidier.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a golden, two lab pups and 4 cats and have had more at one time. They're all very well looked after, licenced, friendly, quiet and well behaved. Other neighbors let their cats outside in the cold to freeze their dogs bark constantly and only have one or two pets. But some people at work do think they can feel free to comment that I have "so many". Yet it's those same people who come to me when they have a question about dogs or cats and how to look after them!

·
Registered
369 Posts
We get that all the time and it drives me crazy. Tyson (coming home next weekend) is going to be our third dog, plus we have 4 cats. We even had one person once say to us, "You guys have too many animals!" I would love to be able to say, "Well, you have too many kids!"

haha!! sounds like something that would come out of my mouth! My parents comment on how we have to many dogs.. and we just have Cooper and Reesie! lol not to sure why people care anyways, its not like its their house!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Some people have no filter. I come from a family of seven children. You'd be astonished at some of the rude things that people have said to me (and my mother) over the years. My youngest sister was born when my mother was 44. People actually had the audacity to ask my mother if she was an accident!! Rude comments are often made out of ignorance.
my mom was also older when she had me, an accident i think not, a happy surprise Yes

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
The more I see of people the more I love my dog(s) - need I say more??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts