Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't written any posts recently as we were waiting on the birth of our puppy. Well..., it never happened. I know I wrote about backyard breeders, but there were no red flags in my communications with her. I looked all over for a GR puppy back in August. Specifically a female. None could be found, high and low. I checked three newspapers, all the shelters in the state. The only thing I found were males from a backyard breeder, who called me back and asked if I would wait for her dog to be bred in September and the puppies would be born in November. No money was involved and I agreed to wait. I called every couple of weeks to see how things were going and she always acknowledged my sincerity in waiting for one of her puppies. The puppies were to be born Friday the 13th. Well, Friday the 13th came and went and I didn't get any call, thinking that maybe the dates were off. So I waited until this past Monday, November 16th and called and leaving a message on the answering machine. I came home from work and no message on my machine. By this point in time, I'm feeling frazzled that she didn't even have the common courtesy to call back. So, I called again. She said the dog was gaining weight and all like a normal pregnancy, but had no puppies. I taught my 12 year old a valuable lesson in respect and consideration for others. He was so frustrated after I told him what had happened and that there were no puppies and he said, "just forget it, mom," out of total frustration. I told him no and that I would have to look harder. So, then I happily discovered the Breeders.net website and went to work. Out of the 20 breeders listed, I quickly eliminated the ones that no longer had a working website, as they really need to update the site. I also went through and learned of the ones that didn't meet my expectations and narrowed the list to eight potential breeders. I've already heard back from two breeders and am officially on a list! It probably won't be until Spring by the time we get our golden, but I figure I can utilize all of my options to get a puppy from a reputable breeder one way or another. And get on as many lists as I can. I have learned my lesson and I look forward to reading more posts until we get our pupppy and I can get a digital camera and put cute pictures inserted to share with all of you.
~Thanks for being a special part of this journey~

·
Debbie
644 Posts
Blondie, I think you are very smart in doing your homework. When I was looking for a pup I started by looking online. I made lots of phone calls and spoke to many people. I narrowed it down to a few breeders whose names kept coming up over and over. Turns out that all the reputible breeders know one another. When I spoke with one who wasn't having more puppies for about a year she was able to direct me to another breeder. That was the one we ended up getting Riley from. And when I looked through her pedigree, the names of the breeders I spoke to kept appearing. I found that the reputible breeders really care about the breed and they like to make sure that even when they can't offer you a pup in the near future that they direct you to ones with the same standards. It pays to do your homework. Riley is, without a doubt the best dog I have ever owned. Her personality traits have turned out to be the best of both her mom and dad. Good luck in your search. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Thornelea and Sunkissed are both in NH, and both are very trustworthy.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I hope you get a puppy soon :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts