Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nana usually has so much energy it's annoying, and I have to play fetch with her for an hour to get her to slow down, even with walks both in the morning and evening. She usually speed-eats her food to the point where I'm a little concerned, and she always licked the bowl completely clean and horked down any treats/biscuits I gave her. She does have giardia, and she just finished her panacur and has three more days of Metronidazole to go. She seems to be doing really well on it- her stools look so so so much better and is SO much less smelly.

These past two days, though, she's been eating much more slowly- almost kind of picking at her food. She's been fed the same amount but she doesn't finish her food, and leaves a few bites left over. She drinks normally, but she seems to be really tired- after her walk and playing hard for some ten minutes, she sleeps for hours. She woke up long enough for dinner (she did eat the whole thing tonight, albeit still slowly) and another 25 minute walk, and after only half an hour of play time, she fell asleep again. During her playtime, she seemed normal and energetic. I did give her some more biscuits before dinner and she ate them rather slowly and deliberately. She's asleep right now and I can't help but be worried. My Nana would usually be in my face and squeaking her toys at this time, especially when she's been asleep for so long!

What do you guys think? Should I be worried, or is she just being a sleepy pup?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
It's probably that's she's healing...but you know your dog best...if she's eating and drinking, she's not likely In any immediate danger. But if it keeps up and continues to worry you, it wouldn't hurt to call her vet. A good vet listens to his patients' owners. Since GRs are so prone to thyroid problems, it wouldn't hurt to ask about testing her for that. Fatigue is definitely a symptom.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I agree with OutWest. If she is not feeling better tomorrow, it would probably be a good idea to check with your vet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a great update! She bounced back to normal, as if the two days haven't happened. She finished her medicine, I've transitioned her fully onto plain kibble (without chicken/rice mixed in) and her stools are still good and... formly, I guess. She still doesn't eat with as much gusto as before, but I think it might be because she doesn't like plain kibble... Her energy level was through the roof- we're about to go on our third walk right now; I'm crossing my fingers that she'll want to sleep afterwards!

:) Thanks everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts