Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of freaking out . Took our 8 week old pup to get another set of vaccines and they gave her:
- Leptospirosis
- Bordetella
- Another deworm

PRIOR to this the breeder had taken her in at 6 weeks for
- Distemper
- Hepatits
- Parainfluenza
- Parvo

did some reading now and the internet says for Leptospirosis:
- sometimes not needed
- not suggested until 12 weeks

:( there's nothing I can do now but just a warning to others out there. Unless you have experience with this and can put my mind at ease :-/

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
I'm surprised that they gave your puppy Bordatella at 8 weeks as well. I would add that to the list of concerns to share with your vet. Dogs really only need Bordatella when they are being kenneled, or go to doggy daycare, or other places they'd be exposed to other dogs.

As far as the Lepto goes, I think that if your dog didn't have a reaction soon after the shot, he/she should be okay. I know almost all of the vets in my area are routinely giving it at 8 weeks as well. I had to switch vets (twice!) to find one that would give Sawyer the puppy shot without the Lepto in there.

I'd check out what the typical reaction signs are for the Lepto vaccine and watch for those signs or symptoms. Call your vet immediately if you see anything concerning. Good luck!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Bordatella isn't supposed to be given until 12 weeks of age (at least in VA).

My vet gives Lepto to dogs starting at 8 weeks, and I don't really see why we should not. We do not give it to dogs who are very small (5 lbs and under) and to those who we do not think will be needing it (dogs who will never be around wildlife areas). We have seen reactions with Lepto, but usually it is in these smaller dog breeds.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Oakley did not have his lepto/Bordatella until 12 weeks of age. when i got him from my breeder he had just gotton Distemper,Hepatitis,Parafluenza,Parvo. (DHPP)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
At 5.5 weeks Hank got the DHLP (I presume the "L" is Lepto.) and Parvo
At 8 weeks he got DHLP and Bordetella
At 10 weeks he got DHLP and Corona
At 13 weeks he got DHLP, Bordetella and Rabies

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
The reason to hold off on lepto is that it can cause allergic reactions in younger pups. We used to routinely give it at 8 weeks, but now do it later. A continuing ed meeting I went to last year said that less reactions would occur when giving it at 4 months of age or greater. If your pup did not react, then you are ok. We give intranasal kennel cough at 2 months. It is a modified live vaccine. Typically, the vaccines that can cause issues are the killed vaccines(rabies, lepto, bordetella, Lyme).

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I am a vet tech and just recently I called the manufacturer for our intranasal bordetella, they said earliest given is 8 weeks and does not need to be boostered and it is good for a year. The injectable bordetella can also be given as early as 8 weeks but will need a booster in 3-4 weeks then good yearly. We do not give Lepto but I think I've heard earliest is 12 weeks anyways, more so due to reactions. Your pup should be fine, but anything not necessary I don't give to my animals. Good luck on your little one!

Reactions: puppydogs
1 - 8 of 8 Posts