Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Huck went in on Tuesday and got his 3rd set of combo puppy shots, same ones that he'd had before without reaction. On top of that though the vet also gave him a Lepto vaccine. This was about 2:30ish PM on Tuesday.

Wednesday at around 11 AM he had a little blood in his stool. It wasn't diarrhea, but a little soft. He's had this happen one other time and when we took him to the vet she said he probably just ate something that didn't agree with his tummy, so I didn't worry or think much of it. He'd eaten some new treats so I assumed maybe they upset his tummy.

Well last night at around 3 AM I awoke because I could hear poor Huck throwing up in his crate! I got up and cleaned it up and everything. The puke looked fairly normal, like mostly-digested watery dog food.

He also seemed just a BIT more tired than usual yesterday (Wednesday), he was playful and everything but he seemed to nap a little more.

Today he seems better, this morning he gobbled down his food and has been super super playful. His stools have been a bit soft today, no blood though.

I'm wondering if maybe he's had a poor reaction to the Lepto vaccine? Has anyone had bloody stool/vomiting from the Lepto vaccine before?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Vaccine reactions to the lepto vaccine in puppies are very dangerous and VERY common.... most responsible breeders will not give lepto vaccines to puppies and most knowledgeable vets will not give Lepto to puppies either.

I can tel you that it is concerning to me that your vet gave a puppy a lepto vaccine and didn't know better

I hope your puppy is feeling better soon
S

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vaccine reactions to the lepto vaccine in puppies are very dangerous and VERY common.... most responsible breeders will not give lepto vaccines to puppies and most knowledgeable vets will not give Lepto to puppies either.

I can tel you that it is concerning to me that your vet gave a puppy a lepto vaccine and didn't know better

I hope your puppy is feeling better soon
S
Wow I wish I had known that before, otherwise I would have told her to hold off on the lepto vaccine when she said she was going to give it to him.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Wow I wish I had known that before, otherwise I would have told her to hold off on the lepto vaccine when she said she was going to give it to him.
don't beat yourself up... live and learn... you will know for next time... we never give puppies lepto here and I know of another breeder whose entire litter had a reaction to that vaccine. I think whats important is for you to do some research on vaccines... many people don't realize that vaccines are not benign shots and should be always given with care...

just get that pupster feeling better is most important now

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
don't beat yourself up... live and learn... you will know for next time... we never give puppies lepto here and I know of another breeder whose entire litter had a reaction to that vaccine. I think whats important is for you to do some research on vaccines... many people don't realize that vaccines are not benign shots and should be always given with care...

just get that pupster feeling better is most important now
Thanks :) Fortunately he seems a little better today, he's more playful and hasn't had any more blood in his stool or anymore vomiting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts