Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If you choose not to give certain vaccines or give your dogs certain preventatives, that is certainly your prerogative but make sure you’re aware of the risks and benefits.

I work in the vet industry and I’m pretty firmly now in the camp of vaccinating unless there’s an actual reason like a dog who has an immune-mediated condition or even really bad vaccine reactions or the disease doesn’t exist where you live. I’ve seen dogs with lepto who are so sick, they had to be euthanised or required extensive care at a 24/7 facility (one dog specifically was hospitalized for a week). I’ve seen dogs with lyme who developed lyme nephritis. I know a dog who got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, developed IMHA from it, and then was eventually euthanised despite very aggressive, very expensive treatment.

My oldest dog was very minimally vaccinated, I followed Jean Dodds vaccine protocol per his breeder’s request. He’s a hot mess healthwise and always has been. I can tell you for sure that minimal vaccines did not help him at all. His immune system is still crappy and his body is still trying to fall apart lol
Thank you for taking the time and effort to reply.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm going to echo some of the other replies here, but talk to your vet about what's going around in your area.

For instance, I live in Southern California, and my vet brought up the lepto vaccine when my girl was a puppy, and mentioned that there had been a couple recent cases. However, she said that unless my dog was going to be hanging out with coyotes a lot, we probably would be ok without it. With all the other puppy vaccines she was getting at the time, we decided not to get the lepto vaccine at that time.

About 8 months ago, So Cal had a big canine influenza outbreak. We vaccinated against that since it was going around and the daycare Scout attends had seen it.

So, vaccinate against what your vet is seeing a lot of would be my advice! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm going to echo some of the other replies here, but talk to your vet about what's going around in your area.

For instance, I live in Southern California, and my vet brought up the lepto vaccine when my girl was a puppy, and mentioned that there had been a couple recent cases. However, she said that unless my dog was going to be hanging out with coyotes a lot, we probably would be ok without it. With all the other puppy vaccines she was getting at the time, we decided not to get the lepto vaccine at that time.

About 8 months ago, So Cal had a big canine influenza outbreak. We vaccinated against that since it was going around and the daycare Scout attends had seen it.

Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I have three Goldens, age 4, 2, and 20 weeks. I give all of them the Lyme and Lepto vaccines. I also give monthly flea/tick preventative. In June they all three received their lepto vaccine. The 4 year old and 20 week old had absolutely no reaction. The Lepto vaccine caused a reaction in my 2 year old, primarily GI, but bad. I will still give all three the Lepto vaccine, but will either split it into two separate injections, or give Benadryl prior to vaccination to my 2 year old.

My dogs hunt train on different grounds and many water sources. I live in a very rural area. Lepto is not a risk I’m willing to take. TBD is the same. My 4 year old is currently being treated for a TBD with doxycycline. In spite of everything I do he was pretty sick. He bounced back in 48 hrs with treatment.

I hate the idea of over vaccinating or medicating, but I have had Goldens for 35 years and I’ve only had one, one time, have a reaction to a vaccination that was serious. The reaction he had wasn’t anything compared to actually having Lepto.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Thanks for your reply. opinions on this are all over the place.
Yep! That’s why it’s best to discuss with your vet and then make the best decision for your floofball!

• Love
Reactions: GoldenDude

·
Registered
Ramses
399 Posts
I understand your concerns regarding vaccines and potential reactions/side effects. I worry about them alot too as this is my first golden - Everything is a concern. My golden is now 2 years old and he travels with me alot to different parts of Europe and encounters many different environments (city, forests, marshes etc). My primary vet recommended that due to this my golden should have almost all the mandatory vaccines and non- mandatory ones. My breeder didn't voice any opposition with this plan when she saw which vaccines were on the list. So I agreed with this plan. Ramses also does get the booster shots of these vaccines. Leptospirosis is one of them. He has already had his booster for leptospirosis again this year. He has not had any reactions to this vaccine or others.

On a different note, this was my experience when we are now planning our move to the US. They asked for all his health records and asked for rabies titer values which my Golden initially failed. Therefore, he had to get the rabies shot again and again he had no reaction. His titer values are now in the acceptable range to enter the US.

For flea and tick - the vet recommended nexgard spectra. Nexgard spectra has protection against flea, tick and heartworm.. I understand this is not available in the US. But nexgard itself does a good job against fleas and ticks. I'm not aware of any inoculations against flea and tick in Europe for the moment...

I suppose it depends on your lifestyle and where you golden will be. Sometimes if you're travelling, my understanding or experience is that different countries have different requirements.. But if you're not going to be moving around all that much, maybe you can take more consideration as to what you want to vaccinate your golden for...

Hope this helps 😊

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I understand your concerns regarding vaccines and potential reactions/side effects. I worry about them alot too as this is my first golden - Everything is a concern. My golden is now 2 years old and he travels with me alot to different parts of Europe and encounters many different environments (city, forests, marshes etc). My primary vet recommended that due to this my golden should have almost all the mandatory vaccines and non- mandatory ones. My breeder didn't voice any opposition with this plan when she saw which vaccines were on the list. So I agreed with this plan. Ramses also does get the booster shots of these vaccines. Leptospirosis is one of them. He has already had his booster for leptospirosis again this year. He has not had any reactions to this vaccine or others.

On a different note, this was my experience when we are now planning our move to the US. They asked for all his health records and asked for rabies titer values which my Golden initially failed. Therefore, he had to get the rabies shot again and again he had no reaction. His titer values are now in the acceptable range to enter the US.

For flea and tick - the vet recommended nexgard spectra. Nexgard spectra has protection against flea, tick and heartworm.. I understand this is not available in the US. But nexgard itself does a good job against fleas and ticks. I'm not aware of any inoculations against flea and tick in Europe for the moment...

I suppose it depends on your lifestyle and where you golden will be. Sometimes if you're travelling, my understanding or experience is that different countries have different requirements.. But if you're not going to be moving around all that much, maybe you can take more consideration as to what you want to vaccinate your golden for...

Hope this helps 😊
Thanks for your input. Our breeder is adamantly against Nexguard and Lepto vaccines. Our vet, very much the opposite. So we’re kind of stuck between the two.

·
Registered
14,005 Posts
This is the key thing. Your breeder might have no idea the risk in your area, so just being adamantly against a preventative or a vaccine seems unreasonable to me and could potentially put your pup at risk.

My vet does not blanket vaccine for everything. She bases it on what your pup is doing, where you are, lifestyle, etc. A mostly indoor teacup poodle is not going to need the vaccines that a sporty-out-in-the-wilderness-swimming-in-ponds Golden is going to need. As such, there are many dogs in her practice who get the bordatella vaccine (lots of dogs in my neighbourhood go to daycare and dog parks). Shala does not. But Shala does get Lepto, wheras many other dogs in her practice do not. I would never take the risk of Shala getting Lepto when there is a perfectly safe and effective vaccine against it. FWIW, I know that a past Lepto vaccine did cause reactions in many dogs, but my vet said the formulation has changed (at least the Canadian version has) and it doesn't cause as many reactions and it actually lasts longer now. Shala has been getting it for eight years.

I would also never take a chance with ticks or heartworm, so those are no-brainers for me. I give the heartworm/parasite prevention year round because one of the things it protects against is a really dangerous parasite carried by coyotes in my area. I do tick prevention about 10 months of the year as they are active anytime it's over 6 degrees Celsius or so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
This is the key thing. Your breeder might have no idea the risk in your area, so just being adamantly against a preventative or a vaccine seems unreasonable to me and could potentially put your pup at risk.

My vet does not blanket vaccine for everything. She bases it on what your pup is doing, where you are, lifestyle, etc. A mostly indoor teacup poodle is not going to need the vaccines that a sporty-out-in-the-wilderness-swimming-in-ponds Golden is going to need. As such, there are many dogs in her practice who get the bordatella vaccine (lots of dogs in my neighbourhood go to daycare and dog parks). Shala does not. But Shala does get Lepto, wheras many other dogs in her practice do not. I would never take the risk of Shala getting Lepto when there is a perfectly safe and effective vaccine against it. FWIW, I know that a past Lepto vaccine did cause reactions in many dogs, but my vet said the formulation has changed (at least the Canadian version has) and it doesn't cause as many reactions and it actually lasts longer now. Shala has been getting it for eight years.

I would also never take a chance with ticks or heartworm, so those are no-brainers for me. I give the heartworm/parasite prevention year round because one of the things it protects against is a really dangerous parasite carried by coyotes in my area. I do tick prevention about 10 months of the year as they are active anytime it's over 6 degrees Celsius or so.
Good advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
Ramses
399 Posts
We just got a beautiful female Golden pup from a highly reputable breeder. Her strong recommendations to us were NOT to inoculate for Lepto and NOT to use either oral or topical flea/tick meds. The breeder’s reasoning is that we don’t want to use “poisons” on our puppy. At our initial appointment, our vet was equally adamant that we SHOULD do both the Lepto and flea/tick meds. So far, we have not done either treatment, but we are really confused by the lack of consensus on this issue. We would appreciate any help in sorting out this issue.

Sorry @SteveC, to bring up your original post again.
I'm just trying to understand here if there was a reason why your breeder said the Leptospirosis vaccine and the flea, tick meds are "poisons"? --- Did the breeder have a bad reaction with her dogs regarding this vaccine and these meds? And if so, what were her recommendations to protect your puppy against fleas and ticks or Leptospirosis?

I don't mean to come across as hostile, I'm just trying to understand your breeder's perspective..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry @SteveC, to bring up your original post again.
I'm just trying to understand here if there was a reason why your breeder said the Leptospirosis vaccine and the flea, tick meds are "poisons"? --- Did the breeder have a bad reaction with her dogs regarding this vaccine and these meds? And if so, what were her recommendations to protect your puppy against fleas and ticks or Leptospirosis?

I don't mean to come across as hostile, I'm just trying to understand your breeder's perspective..
My breeder has the same requirement as the OP. Not sure if we have the same breeder or if this is a common thing. Mine is based in New Jersey. They follow Dr jean dodds vaccination protocol and she does not recommend lepto.
I decided to follow advice of my vet and get him the lepto anyway as he explained the vaccine has been improved over the last few years.
This is not my breeder but my breeder gave us this exact same hand out:

·
Registered
Ramses
399 Posts
My breeder has the same requirement as the OP. Not sure if we have the same breeder or if this is a common thing. Mine is based in New Jersey. They follow Dr jean dodds vaccination protocol and she does not recommend lepto.
I decided to follow advice of my vet and get him the lepto anyway as he explained the vaccine has been improved over the last few years.
This is not my breeder but my breeder gave us this exact same hand out:

Thank you for providing this information. I have to check and see which type of vaccines (killed vs MLF) Ramses got. My golden was born in 2020 so I don't know if the leptospirosis vaccine was bettered by this time (1st gen vs 2nd gen)...? I can confirm that he's got all the other shots : distemper/parvo, bordatella, coronavirus etc... I'm sure he didn't get a giardia one - the vet never told me of this one. I'm not sure if he got the Lyme one...

Perhaps the OP is following this protocol handed by his breeder..

I wonder what would be the alternative solution against fleas and tick though..?

Again no criticism against OP, his breeder or anybody else 😊 I just wonder what options there are and the reasons people choose these alternatives...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Remember, a lot of vets are 'pushing' certain vaccines for the money they get. I got the lepto vaccine on my breeder's advice, since we go into the woods hiking. I also got the bordatella since we are taking classes. But I spread out the vaccines over time so as not to tax the dog's immune system with a lot of vaccines all at once.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts