Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm not sure if i put this in the right spot, but I'm wondering about one of my goldens fur, she is a year old, and her fur isn't the typical "thick" fur that I see in alot fo other goldens, and her feathering on the tail and legs isn't that long, she is an inside dog all the time only going out for potty, and a walk, could that be it? someone siad if they are outside more their fur will grow thick and long. any advise? what should i do? thanks!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
She looks like a field Golden in that picture. Goldens don't finish filling out and getting all of their feathers until they are about 2-3 years old. If she is only a year old, she still has a way to go before her full feathering comes in. Genetics also come into play. If her parents had shorter hair, she will most likely have shorter hair as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
her fur is longer on her tail, the pic doesn't show it though. if i let her outside in the yard for a few hours a day, would that help her fur grow?

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
her fur is longer on her tail, the pic doesn't show it though. if i let her outside in the yard for a few hours a day, would that help her fur grow?
She is beautiful! No that wouldn't help her fur grow. At least not in the way you are thinking. Did you get her from a breeder?

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
She looks normal for a one year old. Some goldens just have a much thicker coat than others and at a later age.
Our Selka has a VERY thick coat and he is rarely outside. Gunner coat isn't as thick but his feathers have gotten much thicker in the last couple years and he is almost 6.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got her from a lady in salem, Oregon it was her dogs first litter. she had an ad in the paper for a litter. I'm not sure if she is still breeding, it was a spur of the moment thing, I had four goldens, due to my parents i had to get rid of 2, and i kept patience, and hope ( she was a beutifull cream, almost white golden) then all of a sudden hope died, she was out in the dog run, there were three dog houses, two were insulated, I found her in the one that wasn't, I and my uncle think someone poisoned her, someone elses dog was poisned twice in our neigborhood. she wasn't even a year old. I was very upset close to suicide, and i was on the computer a few weeks after it happend and saw i ad for a litter, this one dog stood out to me, she looked almost like hope, and i mentioned it to my cousin, and she siad i should get it, well i went to stay with my grandma, and she lived near salem, i told her about it, she asked if i had the money for the pup, i siad yes, and we were off. now I have two best friends...patience and promise.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
I agree with everyone, their coat really don't come in for another year or two. Chewie my 2 year old is just now starting to fill out a little and starting to grow some coat in his chest.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Hello! I see you are from OR. Both my parents' families live in OR and my parents did too until they got sick of rain and moved to southern CA. Anyway, welcome.
I don't come on that often but noticed this thread because my dog (who is 3 1/2) isn't that heavily furred. Part of it is his fault, because he trims his hind leg feathers off and they look all chopped and ugly. Oh well, he is beautiful in my eyes anyway.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
It takes time- she will get more. Some get it early, some take a couple years! My female is 10 months and has thick fur, and a nice tail, but not a lot of feathering length yet- my male, 11 months has thinner, silkier fur, but a lot longer feathering.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Wether or not shes a field golden, she's a beautiful girl. Enjoy her every day. I too have had to learn that a nice full coat takes time. Scarlett is just over 9 months now and her tail looks fairly good. You can check her out yourself in the forums video section.

·
Registered
214 Posts
First of all, Wow she is a beautiful dog....

When Bentley was a year, his coat was pretty short. Now he is 18 months and is starting to look like Cousin It. His partents both had long hair.

one year

18 months

Sorry for the big pics

And he is an indoor dog in California.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts