• No way, No how.

Votes: 22 16.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think? Should marijuana use be legal? Why or why not?

I have never used it, but I feel very strongly that the US should end the prohibition on marijuana. We're dumping tons of money into a losing battle and hurting the security of our nation at the same time. (Hello Mexican drug cartels.) I also feel like it's more benign than alcohol. (Not addictive, no hang over and I've never heard of anyone dying from pot poisoning.)

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I agree with you. I have smoked it a handful of times, and never enjoyed it, and don't plan to ever again. That said, I don't see how marijuana is illegal, but regular tobacco cigarettes aren't. That is ridiculous to me. This "war on drugs" has gotten out of control IMO. Also, knowing first hand the benefits for cancer patients (well, 2nd hand, I was not the patient) and seeing the ONLY thing that would offer any pain relief, not to mention encourage a chemo patient to eat (munchies anyone?) and not whither away in starvation.... I only see benefits and am glad to live in a state that has legalized medical marijuana.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
If everyone who smoked marijuana turned purple, we'd have a lot of purple people LOL ... and not just long-haired hippie types either.

I do have concerns about children smoking marijuana though, naturally. I think children need to learn how to live life before they start learning how to escape it.

Legal with regulation is my vote.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I agree with what you are saying but it is far from a safe drug. I don't have room to list all the effects here but I have worked with so many apathetic couch potato pot heads I definitely think it is bad news.
It seems people are either psychologically addicted to it or don't like it. I don't think there are very many social pot users, unlike alcohol.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
To me, marijuana is far less harmful than tobacco... why is tobacco still legal when its proven to be harmful and its effects kill millions per year? I'd rather everyone on earth be a big lazy pothead, than be dying of lung cancer and emphysema, etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think it should be legalized for medical use, I have suffered migranes for the last 3 years and have had all sorts of treatments. It was my MOTHER who finally sugested I use to one day, and I did. It worked enough for me to be able to go to sleep and wake up feeling better. Sleep is often the only thing that helps it, alot of painkillers don't work and it progresses so badly I end up in hospitial. It also stops the vomitting and nausea I feel. I am not regular user, but I believe it can make a huge difference on a persons quality of life.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Yes I think we should legalize it! Good grief, putting people in prison for pot is costing so much!

Of course we don't want kids smoking pot or drinking or smoking cigarettes. And we wish for moderation for everyone!

But a good friend of mine died of esophageal cancer last year and I remember saying "Kenny, please, I can get you some pot and it might help you eat and it will help you feel better and he said, "Marcy, it is illegal and might lead to harder drugs." I said "Kenny, you are taking morphine! Please try to put aside the stereotypes, it can help you." He wouldn't do it and I remember his wife really gave me the cold shoulder after that. There is such a stigma attached to it that is not attached to a drink.

It would not have saved his life of course, but remember the days when a drink was viewed as medicinal?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have concerns about children smoking marijuana though, naturally. I think children need to learn how to live life before they start learning how to escape it.

Legal with regulation is my vote.
I agree 100%. I think it should regulated and taxed and not sold to minors. Same as alcohol and tobacco.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with what you are saying but it is far from a safe drug. I don't have room to list all the effects here but I have worked with so many apathetic couch potato pot heads I definitely think it is bad news.
It seems people are either psychologically addicted to it or don't like it. I don't think there are very many social pot users, unlike alcohol.
Thanks for your perspective, Debles. Do you feel like it is less safe than alcohol? And is it possible that you just don't see or hear about the moderate pot smokers? Maybe the people who use marijuana responsibly and recreationally just don't advertise it because they don't want to get in trouble.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Thanks for your perspective, Debles. Do you feel like it is less safe than alcohol? And is it possible that you just don't see or hear about the moderate pot smokers? Maybe the people who use marijuana responsibly and recreationally just don't advertise it because they don't want to get in trouble.
Probably. I think it is just as bad as alcohol and alcohol is legal. Making alcohol illegal of course didn't work.

I do think people minimize the effects of marijuana. I don't believe in "reefer madness" LOL but I have seen plenty of wrecked lives. You also can get esophageal cancer from pot. My old using boyfriend did and died still smoking pot at 58.

It would be interesting to see if the problems you guys are discussing went away after legalization.

Then there would still be cocaine, meth, heroin, ecstacy, black market prescription drugs etc etc etc.

I of course can't be impartial. I have spent 28 years hearing the horror stories and trying to help people put their lives back together. many don't make it.

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
I believe it should be legalized for everyone, but especially for those with chronic pain. I would prefer the THC in a pill form (rather than to smoke) to relieve pain associated my back disability. :(

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I hear ya Deb. And I don't think the problems would go away if we legalize it or that legalizing pot would be a panacea. I just don't think it is worse than current things that are legal and we are spending way too much putting people away for using or buying it.

I personally am not purple because the last thing I need to be is more hungry.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
It would really be ironic if they legalized pot, when they are practically making cigarettes illegal!!!! I am a firm believer in do what you want. Legalize and tax as far as I am concerned. I have not used either in twenty years, but if you want to, it's fine with me.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I am friends with several people who smoke pot on a daily basis. They are intelligent, productive members of society that just... enjoy toking it up every day. I've smoked pot several times but never really gotten much out of it. But to each his or her own. I think we're wasting too much time and money trying to control a substance that probably isn't any worse that alcohol or cigarettes.

One of my girlfriends from work told me about her grandfather who was dying of prostate cancer. She said she would actually supply him with marijuana because it was the only thing that made his pain tolerable. It's too bad he couldn't get it legally - it would have made a lot more sense, but unfortunately that's not how things work right now.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
at one time (still?) wasn't it legal in some state(s) to grow/have 2 plants for personal use?

good idea, but the job of protecting them from theft would send ya to prison

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
at one time (still?) wasn't it legal in some state(s) to grow/have 2 plants for personal use?

good idea, but the job of protecting them from theft would send ya to prison
I haven't heard that. I have heard that at one point, if you had a small number of plants (I think up to 2) it's considered a misdemeanor in CA. More than that and they assumed that you were selling.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Wonder where Steve is on this thread? LOL

As a person with glaucoma, if it would help me, I think I would use it.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Nope. Don't want it legal. I want people think they are doing something illegal and wrong as they screw with their brain.

When I was young I used it alot in highschool and it truely messed me up. Years later way after I stopped, I would go into a "natural" high...made me think I was going nuts

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
...I think we're wasting too much time and money trying to control a substance that probably isn't any worse that alcohol or cigarettes...
Heck yeah! That is absolutely right! How many people on the road get killed from people who are high from THC compared to drunk drivers?

1 - 20 of 128 Posts