Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Leaving USA for a Month - Where to leave Max??

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Sweet Girl 
#1 ·
Hi there :wavey:,

Our Max is 1 year old. Me and my wife have to travel out of country for a month (May be in Nov 2012).

Where can I leave him for this extended duration? What are my options for MAX:confused:?

Thanks for help..

Arvin

#4 ·
I think leaving him with someone you trust would be best for a month. Talk to your friends now and see if any of them are willing to watch him.

When I was gone a week, we had someone stay at our house and watch Beamer, our cat, and some other small animals. That worked out well, but it was only for a week.

You can kennel him somewhere, but be sure you go and check out the kennels first to see what they are like, especially since he may be there a month.

Reactions: ilovemax
#15 ·
You'll probably have a more difficult time coping with the separation than Max. I don't think dogs have any concept of time, he won't know if you're gone a day, a week or a month. He'll just be glad to see you when you return. I would of course do my homework and start looking into either a house sitter or a kennel now.

When my husband was in the military we used kennels frequently, we did have our Nikki in a kennel for a month while in temporary quarters. She did fine.

Life throws us curves once in awhile, we all adjust, even our pets.

#9 ·
I have friendx that just this month had to leave town for a month and could not take their dogs. They are leaving their 3 dogs at a kennel that they have used before with their dogs. Because they have frequented this particular kennel they feel comfortable with this option. Before leaving town they met with the owner and caretakes of the dogs to develop a rapport with the team and ensure that the best care will be given their dogs. Is it a perfect solution, not really, but the safest and best option for their situation.
Since you may not be leaving until November I would suggest you scout out some kennels in your area and begin to get to know them before you leave.
I am leaving my dogs for 4 days at my vets where I know they will be well cared for. I ususally have a petsitter stay at my house and care for the dogs but she developed a medical issue that forced me to change my plans. I prefer the idea of having a reliable petsitter stay but sometimes that isn't possible.
Godd Luck in what ever you decide....it is difficult anytime you have to leave a pet behind.

#11 ·
One thing you might consider is finding a responsible college student that might light to get out of the dorms for a month to stay in your house.

Another thought is to find a local dog sitter that offers that kind of service.

Boarding your pup ... I took a Humane Society training course at Your Dog's Best Friend which is located on Rt 1 in Alexandria, VA a couple of years ago and was impressed with their setup. Doggie Daycare, Dog Boarding, Groomers & Training Alexandria VA

I also saw that Belquest has kennels and they are located in Mt. Airy. I don't know anything about them, however.

#14 ·
I second the suggestion to speak with Max's breeder if they are in your area and have a safe secure environment for their dogs. I have done extended care for a few of the goldens I have bred when their families have had to go abroad. My dogs consider it "play time" and the guest dogs think they are going to doggy summer camp! :) win-win situation and the dogs even email their human parents who go through larger separation anxiety than they do! :)

Another option would be to check out boarding kennels or speak with your vet about possible tech staying at your home for the month.

Good luck!!

#18 ·
Even though your friends do not have dogs, that doesn't mean they don't love them. Before we had Finn, I loved dog sitting friends' dogs. If a month is a long time for someone to commit, could you set it up where they are at a day care/kennel for half of the time and at someone's house the other half? Also, you may find that people who work for the kennel would be willing to dog sit for you. I know Finn has the girls at his day care wrapped around his little paw.

#20 ·
I was going to say the same. Have a frank talk with any friends you would trust to take Max, and ask them if they'd be interested, making it clear that they can say no with no hard feelings. Lay out exactly how much work it is, etc. Make sure they'd be on board fully.

If that's not an option, I'd try your breeder or talk to your vet and see what he or she can recommend. There may be a vet tech in the clinic who'd take your dog for a month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.