Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We are getting our 8 week old pup next month. I have taken a week and a half off work to get him acclimated to our home. Once I go back i will have 2 weekdays off while my boyfriend has weekends off. So there will be 3 days during the week that we both have to be at work. The overlapping time of our shifts is 5-6 hrs. I was planning to have a friend/pet sitter stop by in the middle of the day to give him some water, cuddles and a walk. So only 2-3 hrs alone at a time. He will be in a small fenced off area inside with his crate when we are not home. Would this be acceptable for him?

·
Super Moderator
1,373 Posts
it might be difficult for toilet training as at 8 weeks ( or 9.5 weeks) when you go back to work, the concept of 'toilet training' might not be there yet, and its very hard for them to hold their bladders 2-3 hours at that age. I expect you will have accidents in the little play area you will set up for him unless there are more frequent visits. ideally he should have access to water at all times during the day as well.

·
Registered
543 Posts
FWIW this sounds pretty much like what I have done with my puppies (actually, a bit better). If you are truly only leaving him for 2-3 hrs at a time, you’ll get better housebreaking results by crating him while you’re away. If you plan to leave him for much longer than that, then your pen setup will be a better option, but assume you’ll come home to accidents...

One hint... it will be helpful if you “practice” a bit before you start back to work by leaving the pup crated for an hour or two while you leave the house, even during those first couple of weeks you‘re home. That helps the puppy learn that it’s OK to be alone, without asking too much of him at the beginning (and will also let you know if he can hold it for the amount of time you plan to leave him when you are back to work).

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
Definitely crate while you are gone - in a kennel big enough for him to walk in, turn around and lie down. He is less likely to spoil the area where he sleeps.

That said, maybe for the first couple of weeks after you go back, so maybe til he's 12 weeks old, it might be good if someone could come twice in the 6-hour period you are both gone. Simply because at that age, their little bladders still don't have control, and they are very little, so they don't hold much. By about 12 weeks, he will be getting used to going outside an holding it for a bit longer will get easier. But if he has a bigger gated-off area, he will just pee indoors, and set back house training.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are planning on having his crate inside the little play area we have with some puppy pads off in the corner of it of the area, for the accidents that are bound to happen.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agree with Sweet Girl,
If you use puppy pads, you will be house training twice, because that teaches the pup that it's OK to eliminate inside the house.
Intensive house training takes about 2 weeks, if you can manage with crating and having somebody come in and let outside to eliminate, you will be way ahead of the game :)

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
Accidents don't have to happen. Crate, no pads, have someone come in twice for the first couple of weeks that you go back to work. If you do strict house training in the first 10 days or so that you are off (crating, watching like a hawk while he's not crated, taking him out every 60 minutes, throwing parties when he pees outside), and then follow it with crating and letting him outside every 2 hours or so, he should be pretty good. Yes, there MIGHT be accidents, but it shouldn't be considered a given. Rather an exception to your otherwise stellar training schedule! :)

Reactions: Prism Goldens

·
Premium Member
18,227 Posts
In my experience, puppies under 14-16 weeks old need to pee every 10 minutes. While they are awake and up running around they need to be taken out every 20-30 minutes to avoid accidents. When they are crated and sleeping they can hold it longer.

I agree with having 2 visits for potty breaks when you are at work is the best thing for the puppy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts