Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coco is nearly 15 weeks old.

Preface: We unfortunately don't have a crate for Coco, as finding one her size has proven to be very difficult in Panama. We have one on order, and hope to get it soon. That being said, we do have a "doggy den" for her, which has her bed, some toys, and is free of pretty much anything else. She sleeps the entire night there, and has stopped whining or crying of any sort. No accidents for a while now as well :)crossfing).

Before she goes to bed at night, we take away her water about 2 hours before, and ensure she eliminates before sleeping. Luckily I don't work and haven't had to leave her home during the day for more than an hour at a time, at most.

Now to my question:
If we are going out during the day, say for 2-3 hours, how do I reinforce house-training, if she is in her doggy den and we are not home? Do I do the same thing as at night, and take her water away and feed her well before so she can eliminate before going in her room? We do have a backyard, but temperatures are around 80-90 degrees year round here, so that's not a solution... this seems like it should be an easy answer-- I mean I can't be the first person to have to leave during the day with a puppy at home!

**I'd like to warn you that there may be a sudden increase in questions-- this forum is going to be a lifesaver**

TIA:)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
You should be fine with your plan of taking her out before you leave. You might practice with some shorter trips out to see how she does.

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
I think you have the right idea. I'm sure she will be fine for a couple of hours alone.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
She will probably just sleep while you are gone so when she gets home. Just take her outside like normal before you leave and when you get back.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
At 15 weeks your pup should be pretty well potty trained. Just take her out before you leave then right when you get back. I never did the pick-up-the-water thing, so can't advise on that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts