Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am wondering how you all feel about leaving her bed in her crate while we are away. We work during the day and she is usually in there for 3 - 4 hours at a time before someone comes and lets her out/walk/play. Our trainer during our first puppy class had told us to leave the crate empty besides a toy or two that she couldn't destroy but that was 2 months ago. We put her bed in at night and had been taking it out during the day. She is now getting the full crate since we have never had an accident in the crate and I wanted to leave the bed in for her as well. Is this unsafe to do?

Opinions...?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Our pup has had a folded blanket in her crate since day 1 that we've left her there. She has never destroyed the blanket, however she did find a string that was hanging just outside the crate, and chewed on it while we were away. It was a string to one of my backpack/bags. How old id your pup? In my opinion if she's not used to having a blanket there, I'd wait til she was about 7-8 months just to see if she grows out of here more puppy-stages. If you say she drags it out during the day, looks like she sees the bed as more of a toy, so I don't think she is ready to respect it yet :doh: lol

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's 5 months. And she doesn't pull it out, my husband takes it out during the day so she only has it in there at night. She used to just have a towel in there and last night she got a full blanket as her bed and slept so well, didn't hear her move around at all like she used to. She has blankets in the family room as her beds as well and has never tried to tear them up or bite on them at all which leads me to believe she knows the difference but now he has me paranoid.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I put a soft pad and a blanket in my pup's crate from the first day/night - I never thought it wasn't the thing to do. She has a blanket in the crate in the car as well. I never had any problems with it. She is 6 months old now and doesn't have a crate in the house day or night. The blanket and pad have become her bed.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
I use bath mats as the lining of crates. The rug is comfortable, it has a rubber backing so it won't slide around for good footing and it is easy to wash.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I don't have anything in Beamer's crate because I find he likes sleeping on the cool plastic when it gets a little warm in the room. When I had a blanket in there he would push it up against the back wall.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Frunny how they differ. Bonnie has always had a thing for soft things to cuddle into and to my surprise she has never even had a nibble at any bedding and all her soft toys are still in one piece. She is a determined chomper on plastic, wood and hard stuff though. :)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I had a friend whose puppy ate half a baby blanket. Since watching her deal with that incident I've not put anything in my puppies' crate.
I'm just afraid of what a puppy would do when bored.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts