Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
16,000 Posts
Unless I am trying to repair a damaged coat, or, I have a dog in full coat that I am showing, I don't use leave-in conditioners. They tend to attract dirt. THere are several different products that I use when I do, depending on the individual coat/condition, etc.

·
16,000 Posts
His coat is a bit damaged, Laura. Unfortunately, with all his food issues, he didn't really grow any for the longest time because he wasn't properly absorbing nutrients. I don't need it to be show quality, but I'd like it to look a bit healthier and grow some more. I'm working with someone here on his grooming and making sure to keep his tail nice and groomed in hopes of promoting new growth, but I'll take all the help I can get.

His coat is short and getting shinier, but still a little dull. It's not curly, but he does have a few cowlicks and now that it is growing it sticks out in places. It's not overly thick either. Suggestions for a leave-in product that might be good for him and how often I should use it? I bathe him weekly now and have been for the past two months or so. I plan to keep this up as well as brushing him lightly with a pin brush nightly.
For a coat like this, I actually use Aussie Hair Insurance, which is a human product, and can be purchased at most drug and grocery stores. I use it only on the ends, spritzing it on and gently squeezing it into the hair.
Remember to never comb or brush a coat that is dry - mist it with a bit of good water with a drop or two of conditioner in it.

·
16,000 Posts
Ah!!! Thanks, PG! You're a lifesaver!!! And it sounds like it won't cost me a small fortune either, which is wonderful! I'll keep you posted on how this works. Thanks for the tip. How often should I do this? Every night when I brush him? Or just occasionally?

A bottle of Aussie Hair Insurance Leave-in Conditioner spray is a whopping $3.99. While repairing coat, I'd use it daily.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.