Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, what does everyone who is experienced with grooming their dogs think about leave-in conditioner? I don't have any and there are a few times here and there when I think it would be useful.

If you like it or use it, can you recommend a few brands and tell me how/where/how frequently you use it?

Thanks! I am really trying to get the hang of this grooming thing. Although you might not know it from looking at Bogey - his coat is FINALLY starting to grow a little and just sticks out everywhere. I'm reading the other thread about how to get it to lay flat right now.

(If this is in the wrong place, sorry. It doesn't appear there is a section for grooming information.)

·
16,000 Posts
Unless I am trying to repair a damaged coat, or, I have a dog in full coat that I am showing, I don't use leave-in conditioners. They tend to attract dirt. THere are several different products that I use when I do, depending on the individual coat/condition, etc.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His coat is a bit damaged, Laura. Unfortunately, with all his food issues, he didn't really grow any for the longest time because he wasn't properly absorbing nutrients. I don't need it to be show quality, but I'd like it to look a bit healthier and grow some more. I'm working with someone here on his grooming and making sure to keep his tail nice and groomed in hopes of promoting new growth, but I'll take all the help I can get.

His coat is short and getting shinier, but still a little dull. It's not curly, but he does have a few cowlicks and now that it is growing it sticks out in places. It's not overly thick either. Suggestions for a leave-in product that might be good for him and how often I should use it? I bathe him weekly now and have been for the past two months or so. I plan to keep this up as well as brushing him lightly with a pin brush nightly.

·
16,000 Posts
His coat is a bit damaged, Laura. Unfortunately, with all his food issues, he didn't really grow any for the longest time because he wasn't properly absorbing nutrients. I don't need it to be show quality, but I'd like it to look a bit healthier and grow some more. I'm working with someone here on his grooming and making sure to keep his tail nice and groomed in hopes of promoting new growth, but I'll take all the help I can get.

His coat is short and getting shinier, but still a little dull. It's not curly, but he does have a few cowlicks and now that it is growing it sticks out in places. It's not overly thick either. Suggestions for a leave-in product that might be good for him and how often I should use it? I bathe him weekly now and have been for the past two months or so. I plan to keep this up as well as brushing him lightly with a pin brush nightly.
For a coat like this, I actually use Aussie Hair Insurance, which is a human product, and can be purchased at most drug and grocery stores. I use it only on the ends, spritzing it on and gently squeezing it into the hair.
Remember to never comb or brush a coat that is dry - mist it with a bit of good water with a drop or two of conditioner in it.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah!!! Thanks, PG! You're a lifesaver!!! And it sounds like it won't cost me a small fortune either, which is wonderful! I'll keep you posted on how this works. Thanks for the tip. How often should I do this? Every night when I brush him? Or just occasionally?

·
16,000 Posts
Ah!!! Thanks, PG! You're a lifesaver!!! And it sounds like it won't cost me a small fortune either, which is wonderful! I'll keep you posted on how this works. Thanks for the tip. How often should I do this? Every night when I brush him? Or just occasionally?

A bottle of Aussie Hair Insurance Leave-in Conditioner spray is a whopping $3.99. While repairing coat, I'd use it daily.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
My three are out in the burrs and woods so much that I use Cowboy Magic detangle& shine in pantaloons, ruffs, and tails except in the winter. It smells great and works well.

For "fancy" stuff like catalog photo days, I like Ice On Ice leave in conditioner.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you both for the tips. I certainly hope he has a bit more coat sometime soon and would need the kind of treatment that pretty Tally needs, Jill. I'll stop at Walgreens on my way home tonight and get him started!

·
the party's crashing us
4,307 Posts
I have a favorite product I use as a leave-in conditioner after every bath, I use it on my dogs and my grooming clients. Heck I use it on me :)
It's a human product you can get at a grocery or drug store, BioSilk Silk Therapy, sells in a little bottle but it will last you a while. I use a quarter-sized bit for the front half of a golden, same for the back. Put on a wet dog after a bath but before blow drying. Smells good, feels good, is not sticky.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the drug store was out of both suggestions, so I picked up a small bottle of Infusium 23 leave in. I've used it before. I also mixed up a spray bottle of purified water with 2 tablespoons of really good conditioner that I will use to brush him. I'll keep you posted. Maybe come spring he'll have a nice, pretty coat!!

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions for detangling mats? I thought I was doing a decent job on the butt fluff but realized tonight that Max has a couple good ones again. I feel terrible - I've been working on them with fingers to try to gently work them loose without hurting him. How do I keep them from forming, and what can I use to help get them out now? Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts