Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Go CHARGERS!!!
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I go boating almost every weekend on the Colorado River. Of course we take our girl Molly with us and she LOVES it. Last weekend we were talking with a sheriff that we are friendly with out there and were surprised to find out that they intend to enforce leash laws on all of the sandbars on the river. Evidently last year a small dog was killed by a larger dog and this prompted the new enforcement. Does anyone have any good resources for county leash laws (this area is in Imperial County, California, and Yuma County, Arizona). Everything that I find online suggests that as long as the owner has a leash, the dog does not need to be under anything but verbal control. I'd like to avoid any issues out there, but at the same time it is heartbreaking that we are going to have to keep her in the boat (which in the dead of summer is not an option at 120+ degrees), tie her up, or hold a leash the entire day. I'm not sure if there are any law professionals on her that might be able to help me dig up some information? Any help is appreciated!!

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I don't know about the Colorado, but that is the rule on the Mississippi. We usually go to a sand bar that is for people with dogs so the DNR pretty much leaves us alone. We are very law abiding on the river :).

But my neighbor got a ticket once for her Sibe not being "under verbal control" and the dog wasn't doing anything. He is a fierce looking Husky, though.

DNR here are cracking down, though. We got pulled over at least five times last summer for safety checks. Leashes close by. And the sheriff is pretty close by to haul off drunk boaters, we saw a bunch of those, too.

Good luck!

·
Go CHARGERS!!!
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

DNR here are cracking down, though. We got pulled over at least five times last summer for safety checks. Leashes close by. And the sheriff is pretty close by to haul off drunk boaters, we saw a bunch of those, too.

Good luck!
I love the picture of your pups in the boat! The Rules are really strict on our stretch of the Colorado too with surprise DUI checkpoints and everything. We always abide by all the rules and wholly support the law enforcement's efforts out there, but this whole dog issue really has me fired up...

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
It always seems to me they are looking for reckless boaters more than reckless dogs. Abby even got a smile out of one of the DNR guys when she went to lick his hand. He knew she was a golden (not an Irish setter :)) and was very taken by her. Some of the DNR guys are really jerks, though. I suppose it is is tough, stressful work.

·
Registered
12,189 Posts
We used to take our boat to Lake Havasu. We never had a leash issue and the dogs ran free on the beaches where we would beach the boat. Can you put her on a 30 foot line?

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
A few years back I had a run in with the "law" at my boys favorite island. The park ranger and I were the only two people on the island and he told me my dog needed to be on a leash. I rolled my eyes and left. Thankfully I have not seen a park ranger on "our" island in several years. Needless to say I have been ignoring the "law" for the past five years. :D

·
Go CHARGERS!!!
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We used to take our boat to Lake Havasu. We never had a leash issue and the dogs ran free on the beaches where we would beach the boat. Can you put her on a 30 foot line?
We can put her on a line, but my concern would be that because of how active she is, it is likely that she is going to either wrap the line around someones legs or sweep their feet out from under them. I see bad rope burn... I mean, we'll do it if we have to, I guess.... GRRRR!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts