Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Banks is coming on 8 weeks of age and have had him for about a week. I dont think he knows his name yet and doesnt even look over when we say it or call him. How did you all get them to learn their name and come running over when you call it?

This is the first of many roadblocks we've got.... will be posting more on our others..lol

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
I use food :) Usually garlicky chicken or steak for name recognition since its important.

I'll start in a pretty boring area with my dog on lead and let him wander about. If he won't wander I'll toss the treat (chicken on dark surfaces, steak on light surfaces) a bit away from me to get him slightly away from me.

Then to start, have a treat in your hand and while you say his name, get the treat to his nose and bring the treat towards you once Banks has noticed it - the nose should follow the treat and the puppy will follow his nose :) and give the treat while praising once he has turned his head.

Once he starts turning automatically towards you (usually after very few repetitions) switch to rewarding without luring - that is, hold the treat but don't bring it to his nose; but rather wait for the head turn then praise and reward. You may have to hold the treat in front of your body at first- again just for a few repetitions.

Lengthen the distance and/or the distraction levels slowly; but only one at a time and try to make it so Banks can be successful at least 80% of the time before changing something. If he does not respond twice in a row, make it easier for him. Move away from distractions, or shorten the distance etc.

This method usually works pretty quickly, so the next step might be to start the recall (come) or the sit etc.

I actually practise this game throughout my dogs' lifes and they always get some type of recognition for responsing; a good boy, a wrestle, a tug, thumping, treats, being sent out again, allowing them to jump on me, whatever.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Sunrise gave you some great advice. I'll actually take time to drill eye contact and name at the same time. If you hold out a treat, the pup will usually stare at it, so hold it in front of your eyes and say his name. When the pup looks at it, say "yes!" and give the treat. The "yes!" is important because you're marking the exact moment the pup did what you wanted. The treat follows up to reinforce the "yes!" If you use a clicker to train, you can click instead of saying "yes!"

Once the pup has the hang of it, you move the treat about a foot to the side of your face. Say the dog's name and wait, wait, wait. He will stare at the treat intensely...wait...wait... Eventually, if you've practiced the first stage enough, he will glance at your face for an instant instead of the treat. Right as those eyes hit your face, say "yes!" and give the treat.

You're teaching him that his name means "look at my face." It sets a good groundwork for teaching them to take interruptions and give attention later in life when the stakes are higher.

Eventually, you say his name, and you build up a longer period of his looking at your face before you mark and treat. And you begin to work in more and more distracting areas.

If you're in a distracting situation and one or two tries with his name doesn't get you his attention, don't continue to say it. You don't want to dilute his name or other commands by using them when they don't work. Too many people teach their dogs that their name carries no power, reward, or meaning because they say it over and over to a distracted dog who's ignoring them.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
A family member and I would sit down in the kitchen about 10 feet apart from each other, with Flora in the middle. One of us would begin clapping our hands and say, "Flora, Flora!" and when she ran over to us, we'd praise her to high heaven.

When she got bigger the game was a bit more challenging - nothing like a 30lb puppy running full speed into your lap!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.