Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Ealier today I took Buddy out for his walk and of course he saw a new person and wanted to go up and say hello.Usually when he does this he leans into the person's leg and will stay till the person stops petting him or walks away. The person mentioned to me that it's not a good thing for him to do cause it's showing dominance. Buddy has been doing this since he was a pup and will do it to anyone that is nice to him,especially to me.So is it true or is it affectation like I always thought? Thanks :wavey:

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I don't know. I do know that Max leans into me when he first sees me and I'm petting him. I think it's kind of cute. He doesn't really do the lean to anyone else that I've noticed.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
hmmmm.... my angel girl Sandy used to lean on me and I loved it! I never thought it was a show of dominance...I thought it was a loving gesture.

·
Registered
691 Posts
My granddog Duke does this also, whenever anyone is petting him, I personally like it when he leans into me. My neighbor said it meant he was submissive? (I didn't think he was). I'll be interested to hear what others say.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I envy you and your leaner. My boys would be jumping in the persons face for attention. I think you are fine. My guys are leaners when they are sopping wet. :p::p:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I think it's just fine. It's just an example of a dog doing what works for him. He leans and he gets attention. I don't think it has anything to do with dominance at all.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
My Gunner is very submissive and he is a major leaner. That person didn't know what they were talking about! That is not dominance!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
My Pawley is a leaner and I love it. He is the sweetest boy. I dont see a problem with it. I would rather have a dog lean on me instead of jumping.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Jess is also a leaner - it's like she can't support her own weight once you start patting her!! I don't think it's a sign of dominance though....

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Utter nonsense. You dog is being affectionate and very sweet. People are completely idiotic with the 'dominance theory'. Enjoy your very adorable puppy!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Very interesting - twenty years ago our late golden, Brandy, would lean into me while we were doing obedience school work (sit after walking). She would be in perfect position and then would lean against my left leg and look up with the sweetest expression on her face - like "We did good, didn't we Dad?"

The trainer told me to discourage that behavior (more because of bad technique rather than any behavior issues), but I never did. Brandy lived over thirteen years as the most well adjusted, happy and friendly dog we ever had.

We will be getting our new golden girl in about a month and if she chooses to lean on me while sitting, I'll consider it a blessing. :)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Tito is also a leaner, and in his case I think it's just learned behavior. He learned real fast that people think it's adorable, and will keep petting him.
His father was a leaner, too.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I don't think it's either being submissive or a show of dominance. It is what it is... just a personality trait, period.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Zep is a leaner, big time. I figure it's because he's a bit lazy and leaning is easier than holding himself up all on his own. :) I love his leaning. ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
Yup Asia's a big time leaner too. She does this with everyone she meets and it works for her as she gets lots of petting and endears her even more to the "petter" She really does it more with other people than with me which is interesting so I wondered if it may be dominance related. I don't know or care really as she is so geat with people.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Sienna is a BIG TIME leaner :p: Sometimes she knocks me over LOL. I adore it, though sometimes it's a lot of weight on my leg :D
Her favorite spot though, is on my lap, I don't see it as dominance at all, I see it as her trying to get as close to me as possible, she's a real cuddler.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Marley is a leaner too, I noticed it most last weekend when we were at the Animal Blessing and when the other dogs got noisy he leaned into my leg harder, so I don't think that is a dominance thing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Marley is a leaner too, I noticed it most last weekend when we were at the Animal Blessing and when the other dogs got noisy he leaned into my leg harder, so I don't think that is a dominance thing.
It's interesting you mentioned Marley did it harder while around other dogs.Buddy will do that as well especially when playing with his friends and they are getting loud and rowdy.His always been submissive since day 1 so I was surspised the person said it was showing domiance and like everyone else have said I love that he does it and don't mind it.Thanks for everyone's feedback on this :)

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
I think that I have heard of that as "the golden lean".

A little story about leaning goldens. A few months after my first golden passed away I was still undecided about when to get my next golden, then a neighbor came walking by my house with her big and handsome male golden. Of course I went right over to see him and as I petted him he leaned against my leg :p:. Well, that did it for me...right there and then I knew it was time to start looking for my next golden retriever. Now I have lots of gold running around my yard and they ALL lean!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts