Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My partner and I are having some trouble with our goldie, Maisie. She's 5 months old, so we expect a little bit of acting up from her, but we aren't really sure how to manage this one effectively?

So basically every now and then about halfway through the walk, Maisie will grab hold of the lead and start pulling on it (her adult teeth are in now). This seems to be when she reaches a high level of excitement of when she thinks she's earned a treat (but hasn't!). The pulling isn't really that much of an issue, but rather she'll then try to jump up and rgab the lead in her mouth over and over again and will get herself tangled up. If we go to untangle her she then seems to think we're playing.

We don't really want this behaviour in her when she's an adult, but we aren't sure whether this is something they grow out of? We've tried scolding her (which gets her more excited), ignoring her (which she's fine with because she gets to keep playing) and our current strategy is to just ignore as best we can and power on through.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you thought about trying to redirect the behaviour instead? When she starts chewing perhaps take out an appropriate chew toy and praise when she goes for that instead. I'm my experience positive reinforcement works way better than a telling off.

I'm no expert though, hopefully someone else will be able to chime in!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
848 Posts
My oldest would carry it in her mouth. And my trainer basically said if she wasn’t pulling me away to not make a big deal about it because then she’d want to play and tug with us, which at first is what happened. So we literally ignored her. And she stopped. She once went through a leg of her Novice Rally with the lead in her mouth and I was loose with a J. We did not lose points for that. I was surprised.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts