Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this morning. Layla is 9 months old and has never been a big eater... well of food that is, she loves dry wall, oriental rugs, and wood LOL. I have 3 bags of Natures Variety raw medallions, and a box of Honest Kitchens, from when we were trying to transition Hurley to raw. Hurley loved it for the first week - you would have thought I put a live rabbit in his bowl that first day, then he refused to eat it anymore. Layla was the same this morning, she couldn't gobble it down fast enough, and ate Dreams too LOL. I am not holding out much hope though, I have a feeling she will pull the same thing Hurley did... but I need to use this stuff up.

wish us luck, maybe Layla will become an eater, she is such a tiny peanut.

Julie

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
LOL I am trying reeeeeally hard to imagine a Golden that isn't a big eater.... reeeallly hard...

Nope.. can't. ;)

One thing I will tell you is that frequent food changes when the dog starts showing any signs of pickyness is a surefire way to make a picky eater out of them for life. A little tough love may be in order here. She eats the food given to her, or she doesn't eat. I guarantee she won't let herself skip too many meals. lol

·
Chantilly Goldens
3,381 Posts
I have never met a dog that didn't like raw (sometimes they like it a little too much) but thatsd awesome. Hopefully, its continues to work well for you.

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
My Rowdy became an eater once I switched to raw; it lasted for over 9 years -- hopefully you will have the same results :)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
My dogs always scarf down whatever is in front of them, raw or kibble. Them turning down food is a sure sign they are sick. Actually, my oldest didn't want to lick the squeeze cheese off my finger the other day, and sure enough, she went out later and had major diarrhea.

I have one dog that doesn't like catfish. I think that's the only time ever in his life that he turned down food. Even when he is sick he'll still eat.

Sharon - I noticed your Towhee is out of Chickie. My 3 1/2 month puppy is a Chickie granddaughter. So Towhee is his aunt :)

Jodie

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Checking to see if Layla is still loving her raw?Jodie

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep, all retrievers I have had have loved to eat... not Layla LOL.

Layla had raw for breakfast, the last three days...did have a bit of loose poop last night but it could have been from the birthday cake the night before...

She has not been eating breakfast at all for the last month - it's good to see her eat.
At dinner she gets kibble with a bit of canned (I have to keep everyone happy).

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
Sharon - I noticed your Towhee is out of Chickie. My 3 1/2 month puppy is a Chickie granddaughter. So Towhee is his aunt :)

Jodie
Grins - I'll let her know. Towhee really is a love although she hasn't quite learned the 'stay' yet :) She is a dog whose first owners gave up on and I get to share her life now; I am actually grateful they didn't know what a gem she is ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts