Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She turned 3 at the end of November, I am not sure what is wrong. it is super cold here, their paw paws are freezing...Last night I noticed she wouldn't hop up on the couch, she cried. I checked all 4 paws and all around, I don't feel or see anything. Hubby tried to help her up in bed last night and she screamed, I think maybe her back...she is not limping, running normally, but can't jump up. I gave her an aspirin this morning and one tonight, will keep a close eye on her, hopefully she will heal up and be fine. There has been some heavy duty wrestling going on here with snow and cold weather. If not better by Saturday I guess I will need to take her in to the Vet, not an easy task LOL.

What could she have done? My poor little Princess Layla Peanut Butter...

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have there been any similar problems in the past?
no, never...she is a big baby and cries even when she gets the snow boulders between her toes LOL. So she lets me know when she is hurting, but it has never lasted this long before. Dream, Aiyana and Wolfie had plenty of problems with torn ACLs, pulled muscles, arthritis etc...so I know my Vet would say to give her aspirin for a couple of days and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
Is aspirin safe for dogs? I've always heard not to give it to them.

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Is aspirin safe for dogs? I've always heard not to give it to them.
Aspirin is safe to give- My vet told me it was okay to give Lucky for his arthritis pain. Lucky never needed stronger meds for arthritis. I only gave him low dose 81 mg.

Motrin and Tylenol should not I think. Could harm the liver.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Never give Motrin or Tylenol to dogs! Big mistake! Aspirin is fine, in small amounts (though I am not sure of the dose).

I don't have any advice as to what is going on, so maybe a vet visit is in order.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
She is maybe sore from snow play. Could she have slipped outside and twist herself funny?

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
DreamMom

DreamMom

Is it one of her back legs? Is she able to step on it?

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I would take her to the vet today.
My vet would never say: Give an aspirin.
Yes, aspirin is safe in small doses, but I would not give it to my dogs for any length of time. The NSAIDS made for dogs are a lot safer, contrary to what some people may say.
Anyway, if it was my dog, I would be at the vet's office this morning. Just saying.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I resist giving pain relief in case of a pull or tear. Dulling the pain might make them run around more and cause even more damage. Sometimes a little pain is a safe guard against rowdiness.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Found this article on aspirin and dogs... very interesting. One point stood out

Buffered or enteric-coated aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) is an over-the-counter analgesic that is reasonably safe for a short time for home veterinary care in the recommended dosage for dogs. (Aspirin has a very low margin of safety for cats and should not be used.) Buffered or enteric-coated aspirin is much safer than regular aspirin because it is less likely to cause stomach and duodenal ulcers.
And another red flag..

Note that individual dogs metabolize aspirin at very different rates. This inconsistency can lead to an unexpected accumulation of dangerous breakdown products in the animal’s body. As few as two regular-strength aspirin tablets can produce severe organ damage in some medium-size (30 pounds, 13.6kg) dogs. Follow the exact dosage
So I really hope you know the proper dosage and brand of aspirin to give a dog without having the vet's say so.

Here's the link

Dog Pain Medications: Aspirin (And Other NSAIDs), Ibuprofen, and More

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all,

Layla would not even try to get into bed last night...I think she may have hurt herself doing that. Since I broke my shoulder hubby and I moved our twin beds apart and put Callys crate in between. Layla jumps from one bed to the other during the night, she wants to spread the love equally lol. Our beds are pretty high they are pillow top mattresses with 3 inches of memory foam on top.

She gets around fine, is running through the yard like nothing is wrong...jumping up onto something is the only thing that seems to cause her pain. She is eating well and acting normally except for getting into bed.

I understand the dosing and safety of asprin, I have had the same Vet for 30 years and all of my dogs have been to him and get the same treatment...he believes in good old fashioned generic aspirin - I give triple buffered aspirin. I do have leftover Tramadol from Dream but I am hesitant to give that to Layla she is anxious enough and anxiety is one of the possible side effects. I don't like the way tramadol makes me feel either...

Reactions: MikaTallulah

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I don't mean to be critical, but having the same vet for 30 years, may just be the cause why he is recommending aspirin. Just as in human medicine, yes old doctors are knowledgable and experienced but they are hard to convince of more modern approaches, medicines and procedures. Old school is not always the best.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't mean to be critical, but having the same vet for 30 years, may just be the cause why he is recommending aspirin. Just as in human medicine, yes old doctors are knowledgable and experienced but they are hard to convince of more modern approaches, medicines and procedures. Old school is not always the best.

I like old school, probably because I am old. I tend to go for the things that have been proven safe and effective over the years in my own experience. New drugs out there have tons of horrible side effects, just look at what rimadyl, meloxicam and some others have done to many many dogs.

If Layla is still having problems I will take her in to the Vet tomorrow if it is just a pulled muscle or she twisted wrong she will be fine.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Layla is all better...I was still worried yesterday. She was bounding through the snow (we had 6 more inches yesterday), wrestling with the other dogs like nothing was wrong...but still would not hop up onto the couch or into bed last night. Some time during the middle of the night she hopped in bed with hubby, then with me, then with hubby again. This morning she ate breakfast and hopped up on her favorite chair for a nap. I still have no idea what was wrong but she seems fine now!

thank you!

Reactions: GoldensGirl

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I had my boy Nash on the 81mg coated aspirin, once a day, for 3 yrs. For his hips, then one day he had blood in his stool...I called the vet, he told me to stop immediately . Which I did...but Nash was feeling awesome for those 3 years, and that was 2 yrs. Ago..glad your pup Layla is doing better, Just keep an eye on her....

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Layla is all better...I was still worried yesterday. She was bounding through the snow (we had 6 more inches yesterday), wrestling with the other dogs like nothing was wrong...but still would not hop up onto the couch or into bed last night. Some time during the middle of the night she hopped in bed with hubby, then with me, then with hubby again. This morning she ate breakfast and hopped up on her favorite chair for a nap. I still have no idea what was wrong but she seems fine now!

thank you!
She may have just pulled a muscle. Tesia gives me this scare every so often. Usually, I can say, well, she DID swim a lot today - or she DID run and hike an awful lot... But sometimes it just happens. And we have a day or two of not jumping up, and looking at me sadly until I lift her onto the bed. And then - poof! - it's all better, and we breathe a sigh of relief. For that reason, I don't like to give a pain med right away either. I like to see what the pain does, and be able to see if it gets better after a day or so. If not, then it's off to the vet.

Glad to Layla is better.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I'm so glad to hear she's better! They do like to scare us!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks again all,

I only gave her aspirin on that first day, kind of tried to sit on her the second day LOL. It is difficult the Squirt is bigger than she is now so she is back to being the midget. Between Cally and Hurley, Layla is definitely out sized and all three of them play rough. Whatever it was seems to have gone away and Layla is back to her playful, happy self...best of all back to keeping me warm at night.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts