Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We lost our golden Duncan almost a year ago. We tried adopting an older GR, but unfortunately he was not liking our cocker spaniel at all and had to go back. So we dragged our feet a bit, my husband wanted a puppy, but I was unsure if I was really ready. Our daughter (a freshman in college) went out and bought a puppy for her father as a gift. She had to work many many hours for this, and it was quite a surprise. So here we are - Layla is now a member of our home.

Very cute, after a sleepless night on Thursday (not a lover of the crate), and most of Friday night, Saturday she slept through. Typical of the breed she is a bit mouthy ;) but showing progress already on house breaking.

Our older dog Emmit, is avoiding her, I think he is a little afraid of her. Though outside he is a little bolder, though it is probably because she is on a leash and he is not!

Attachments

Reactions: C's Mom and jluke

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
Wow, what a fabulous, considerate thing for your daughter to do for you! Especially at that age, lol. Did she do the research and everything, too? Layla is a beauty--I just want to smooch her :smooch:

Reactions: Jean_NJ

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Very sweet of your daughter. Welcome Layla!

Reactions: Jean_NJ

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She did research, and tells me she did a thorough checking. I did not second guess her, though I am sure curiousity will overcome that at some point. She does know what I was looking for in a breeder while dragging our feet. It was particularly surprising and touching considering I think she "hated" us before she went off to college a few months ago.

Our kids both went off to school in September (twins) so it has been a big adjustment. One thing I can say to you parents with younger children and a puppy. When your kids are teens you will be thanking the powers that be that you have this loving dog that greets you with such joy each day. ;) It's nice to see them begin to turn the bend, and like us once again.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
She did research, and tells me she did a thorough checking. I did not second guess her, though I am sure curiousity will overcome that at some point. She does know what I was looking for in a breeder while dragging our feet. It was particularly surprising and touching considering I think she "hated" us before she went off to college a few months ago.

Our kids both went off to school in September (twins) so it has been a big adjustment. One thing I can say to you parents with younger children and a puppy. When your kids are teens you will be thanking the powers that be that you have this loving dog that greets you with such joy each day. ;) It's nice to see them begin to turn the bend, and like us once again.
I remember going to some meeting and saying that my first kid had gone to college. One woman said, "And you didn't get a new pet?" Too funny. It was after my second (and last) kid when to college that I finally got the puppy. And it was exactly because I missed how my old dog would great me at the door every day after work.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Congratulation, Layla is beautiful!

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Layla!

What an adorable pup! (Like you, we just sent our only daughter off to college last September, too, and then added Maisie puppy to our family. And like you, we were the "hated" parents and college seems to have changed that. Now when Claire comes home from school I feel like we have two puppies!)

·
Registered
250 Posts
She's a keeper! Hope Layla gets along with your other pup! What a lucky dad your daughter has!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts