Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't done so already, a good resolution is to make a doggie first aid kit with all the supplies you might need for doggie emergencies. There are some great threads in this forum about what to include in them.

If you already have one on hand, this is a great time to check expiration dates on things like rubbing alcohol, triple antibiotic creams, medications, etc. Also, make sure all the stuff needed for emergencies or incidents is in the box, backpack or container.

I got a rude awakening this morning about 4 a.m. with those dreaded heaving sounds. Toby had an issue. We knew to check his gums for dehydration, feel his stomach for torsion, and to pull food/water. I also knew to take his temperature---BUT--- the dedicated dog thermometer was NOT in the first aid box. :doh: It took a few minutes to locate it, last used for Barkley during his cancer journey. Toby's temp, gums and stomach were all normal thank goodness so we took the great advice from Iowa Gold's sticky to withhold food/water for a few hours, then give him a bland diet. Well, hubby didn't follow the water advice, but so far so good with no further incidents. :crossfing The early morning wake up did remind me to double check everything in that first aid kit!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
A nice thing to include in the kit is emergency phone numbers and addresses (regular vet, emergency vet), chart for bloat symtoms, normal temps and so on.
We take the kit with us to the lake.

Have a separate kit for cats or atleast separate their meds.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A nice thing to include in the kit is emergency phone numbers and addresses (regular vet, emergency vet), chart for bloat symtoms, normal temps and so on.
We take the kit with us to the lake.

Have a separate kit for cats or atleast separate their meds.
I'm putting Iowa Gold's sticky in for stomach distress, after this a.m.'s wake up call! Plus I have a great Red Cross First Aid/Emergency for Pets book that will go in there.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
if you do active things with your dogs, I think yunnan baio (sp?) is a requirement, too.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Add a fresh un-opened bottle of hydrogen peroxide to that First Aid kit--you do not want to have to drive to the store for one after your dog rolls in skunk residue or gets sprayed.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you do active things with your dogs, I think yunnan baio (sp?) is a requirement, too.
There is also a good powder you can put on a dog's nails or cuts to stop bleeding externally-- styptic powder. What is Styptic Powder? It burns but does stop bleeding quickly.. They even have a human version for nosebleeds (that's how I know it burns). The Yunnan Paiyo or Baiyo (sp) is more for internal bleeding (and it works too).

Both are in the dog's first aid kit!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Add a fresh un-opened bottle of hydrogen peroxide to that First Aid kit--you do not want to have to drive to the store for one after your dog rolls in skunk residue or gets sprayed.
Definitely! I need to go buy a few more bottles since it may take a few if a skunk did spray him.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and vet wrap is also sold in human pharmacies in the bandage section.

As much as we don't want to think about it, a muzzle is also a good idea, just in case.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Just seeing this tonight. Hope Toby is feeling good tonight...

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Toby slept through the night. We had another incident of a tiny amount of throw up (minute really) of ID canned food about 3 hours after he ate it so I called the vet clinic and talked a few minutes with a nurse and decided to give him a Cerenia pill we had on hand from Barkley's cancer battle 2 years ago (this pill was nearing expiration anyway). She also suggested only giving him 1/4 can of ID for dinner and switching to ice after he drank a little post-dinner water. That worked. He slept most of the night with no incident. This morning I dissolved a little sucralfate and put a tiny amount in his pill pocket with his thyroid med and his folic acid dose and he is resting now. I'll give him a small walk to stretch his legs and let him rest, keeping him on the ID for another day at least, small amounts. If he worsens we'll take him in to see a vet today.

Another good item to keep on hand--a few cans of digestive friendly canned food for these types of incidents. We use canned ID because that's what our vet recommends and it's nice to have a few cans on hand for these situations. They changed their formula since our last use of them and ugh, it stinks worse now.:yuck:

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I need to get a First-Aide box for the dogs too. Right now I use an old computer bag and it goes with me wherever we go with the dogs. Has grooming supplies and medication, but bet a lot is out of date. Will dump it all out and start checking. Know it never fails I don't have what I need at the time.

Thank you Dallas Gold for the reminder..oh also need to change the battery on our smoke detectors and programable thermostat's for both places. Guess time to get off my rear and do this.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I need to get a First-Aide box for the dogs too. Right now I use an old computer bag and it goes with me wherever we go with the dogs. Has grooming supplies and medication, but bet a lot is out of date. Will dump it all out and start checking. Know it never fails I don't have what I need at the time.

Thank you Dallas Gold for the reminder..oh also need to change the battery on our smoke detectors and programable thermostat's for both places. Guess time to get off my rear and do this.
never too late to make resolutions!! Sometimes the ones I make mid-year are easier to accomplish too!

While you are at it, another thing I heard about to put in a first aid kit--those no-sting pens you buy in human pharmacies for bee and insect stings. They work for animals too! Also, Benadryl just in case they have an allergic reaction to a sting. Tweezers too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts