Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we are, four days before the start of winter, and the oak and bradford pear trees here in Dallas are absolutely stunning with their orange and red color! They are just so beautifully distracting when I'm driving, walking, or just looking out the window. Our fall started early this year, in August, with many distressed trees just dropping leaves due to the "exceptional" (that's the official term) drought and excessive record setting heat we experienced during the summer from Haides. I don't think I can remember a late fall in North Texas where where the oak/bradford/maple/sweet gum leaves are just now falling, so close to Christmas. Go figure, only in Texas are we raking leaves, doing one last mow of the season, scraping up acorns and pecans, while putting out Christmas decorations. It seems like we are about 2-3 weeks late with the last of the leaves falling. I wonder what that means for our winter.

Oh well, thanks for reading, and if you are lucky enough to be in this area in the next few days, please take a moment to just enjoy the beautiful color outside right now. I'm logging off now to go gaze out at my beautiful Red oak tree now. :)

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,581 Posts
Hey DG, sounds like it's been beautiful there in Dallas for all.

It's been really nice here on the Coast, we have a few days close to 70. I was out walking the dogs yesterday and noticed there are several flowering bushes in bloom here and I've got some flowering blubs coming up. Not sure if the trees are budding out or not, haven't really noticed that.

We didn't have too many trees changing colors in this area thanks to Irene this year-too much tree damage from her.

·
Kate
21,672 Posts
Yep pics. :)

It was really weird seeing the thread title at this time of the year.... all of our non-evergreen trees have been BALD for over 2 months now.

Ohw. And we've been using our sun room as a refrigerator for excess baking stuff that won't fit in our fridge.... :D

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No pictures....sorry... I'm in a lot of right hip/back pain right now and can barely move. I put on my pjs and just am too dog gone lazy to go outside because that means getting dressed and bending over hurts!! The trees sure are pretty though.:) A little serendipity between the long awful summer and the upcoming winter season. Fall is too short in this part of the country!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Hope you feel better. Our lawn is snow dusted!

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was just commenting to my husband that it's almost Christmas and we still have "fall" colors here in central Louisiana! I have two Bradford pear trees that are really pretty and so are the oak trees in the neighborhood! Although we want to move back to the northwest, this is about the only time of the year that I enjoy the south!

·
Charlotte
6,583 Posts
We had a light dusting of snow last night too. And it's colder than it's been in a few weeks. Really nippy at 6:00 am .
Dallas Gold, our leaves were late this year too. We were still mowing in November! Enjoy your fall colours. Hope your back and hip improve soon.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just commenting to my husband that it's almost Christmas and we still have "fall" colors here in central Louisiana! I have two Bradford pear trees that are really pretty and so are the oak trees in the neighborhood! Although we want to move back to the northwest, this is about the only time of the year that I enjoy the south!
You guys had a nasty summer too. Isn't it nice to have this beauty after such a devastating summer of heat and drought?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We had a light dusting of snow last night too. And it's colder than it's been in a few weeks. Really nippy at 6:00 am .
Dallas Gold, our leaves were late this year too. We were still mowing in November! Enjoy your fall colours. Hope your back and hip improve soon.
Thanks! I have a renewed appreciation for what our dogs suffer with hip dysplasia. Until I got a back support brace (suggested by Penny & Maggie's Mom) I was seriously considering raiding the Tramadol and wondering if Rimadyl is fit for human bodies. ;)

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really love my bradford pear tree.
They are my favorite tree for spring and fall colors. Unfortunately they aren't long lived trees. Our neighbor's came down about 8 years after planting it. Our's lasted about 16 before falling over in a wind and rain storm. :( I grieved for that tree because I loved gazing at it when the seasons changed. We replanted a live oak in its place--not as exciting!

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,581 Posts
DG, take care of yourself, hope you're feeling better real soon, especially with the holidays coming.

Irene took out a lot of the Bradford Pears in this area, snapped them right off down to the ground.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts