Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Koda gets spayed on Wednesday..jsut looking for any last minute tips. How long do we wait to take her even on a short walk? How much water should she get the night she comes home? What about food? Do we feed her normally?

We got her a soft collar to wear instead of that cone! We are stocked up on bully sticks too.

Anything you can tell us would be helpful!!

Thanks in advance!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Your vet should send her home with instructions.

I know a spay is different than a neuter but the only thing I did with Hank was, tried (!) to lift him in/out the SUV so he didn't have to jump when I picked him up at the vet, and didn't allow him to run around the big yard or play ball until the stitches were out.

He didn't need a cone, ate, drank, pooped, peed normal from the time I brought him home.

The last female I had spayed was about 16 yrs ago so my memory isn't clear. But I don't remember crating her (other than at night as usual). I do remember taking her out front for potty since that house had many steps to the back yard for a few days.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Good luck! I hope Koda does well--sounds like you are prepared. Maya got sick in the car on the way home, so you may want to bring an extra blanket. I gave her just a bit of water when we got home, and she got sick again, so we held off on food until the next day. She was verrrrry sleepy and lethargic the first night, but by the morning she was back to her old peppy self! We walked her on a leash for potty breaks for the first few days, as I didn't want her to get a case of the zoomies in our fenced yard and pop any stitches. We also did short walks for the first few days-10 to 15 minutes. We didn't have to get a cone or collar, luckily Maya left her incision alone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts