Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Sandy,
I knew you were special the moment I laid eyes on you. I remember the first day I brought you home like it was yesterday, I took you to petco where people flocked over to greet you, you met your sister, Coco (4 year old boxer at the time) and I put you in the kiddie pool which allowed your pool-loving gene to open. I remember training you when I was 9 years old, house breaking you and teaching you tricks. You've been with me when I was first diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, through my hip surgery and when I was homeschooled and had no friends. We grew a strong bond together throughout your 7 years of life. On hot summer days we would jump in the pool and play fetch for hours. At night when my sugar went low you would run to my parent's room and wake them up to come help me. You always tried to fit as many tennis balls in your mouth as possible. You, Coco and I would cuddle every night on my bed. You would follow me off of a cliff if you had to. Everyone who came over loved you instantly. You were so sweet and gentle with small children but you could be hyper and fun when the time came. Although the Golden Retriever stereotype is that they don't bark, you would howl and bark at strangers passing by our house. You even howled at any animal you saw on TV. July 2013 is the hardest month I've ever lived because you were suffering from an unknown sickness and it hurt me knowing you were hurting. You couldn't eat anything, your body was starving itself due to whatever illness you had. You had uncontrollable bowel movements and became extremely dehydrated. We tried everything from medication to X-rays to samples of blood and feces but nothing was ever found. In a matter of days you were as frail as paper and there wasn't anything I was doing that helped. Your breathing became difficult, you became skin and bones and you were disoriented. Your eyes were red, your heart was beating fast and you could hardly walk. Today, July 23 2013, was the hardest day of my life because I had to make the final decision of letting you go. It was for the best because I couldn't be selfish and let you suffer any longer. The veterinarian came in and was very kind and patient through out the whole process. I cradled you in my arms, petted your soft fur, smelled your sweet scent and gave you kisses until my lips chapped, for minutes after you exhaled your last breath. In that time, countless memories of us flashed by. I realized how significant your life on this world was to me. You impacted me and taught me things that couldn't have been taught by a book or a class in school. You helped me and loved me unconditionally, so now I will help and love others unconditionally. You didn't judge anyone you saw and always thought the best of people before the worst, so now I will think the best of people. You lived the greatest, purest life a dog could live. You've given me strength and opened my eyes to a brighter world full of love and happiness. Although your years were shorter than expected, your legacy was greater than expected. Thank you for being the greatest thing that has ever happened in my life. May you rest in peace Sandy. 2006-2013.

You will forever be in my heart and I will see you again someday.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, despite the sad circumstances that bring you to us.

I'm so very sorry for your loss of Sandy. She was an incredibly lucky dog to be loved enough to be set free when her body could no longer sustain her, even though she was so young. I hope that you will share pictures of her, along with more stories about the life you shared together, to help you process your grief and also to create a memorial for her. This is a place where people understand what it is to lose a beloved dog.

Peace be with you and with Sandy.

·
Registered
428 Posts
What a mature young man you are. You gave your Sandy a wonderful life full of love and when it was time, you loved her enough to let her go. She is free of pain and young again. You will see her again. I am sorry for the pain you feel but I know Sandy would kiss those tears away and want you to smile when you think of her. You will think of her some day and smile and remember the good times you had and the funny little things she would do. She was more than a dog, she was your service dog. She knew when you needed help and she got it for you. That's amazing. I am praying for you.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
What a wonderful tribute to your special Sandy. I'm so sorry she is gone, but I'm so glad you realize what a special relationship and love you shared. That will stay with you always.. Please know that there are many here who will support you and befriend you as you grieve. You are a very special young man, and Sandy knew it from the get go. Hugs to you and your family. Godspeed sweet Sandy, you are forever loved.

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,135 Posts
Now Sandy has touched my life and those of others in this world who never met Sandy. Thank you for sharing your story of love and friendship. She left this world a better place than she found it.

For now, Sandy is running in beautiful fields, swimming in warm pristine lakes, and snacking from the endless treat buffet. One day, a long time from now, you'll definitely see Sandy again, and it will be a joyous occasion.

·
and now Mollie's mom too
1,268 Posts
What a wonderful tribute to your girl, yes 7 is too young but you did right by her in letting her go. May happy memories replace the emptiness you are feeling in the days to come.

·
Administrator
16,463 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. To post some pictures you can try this in your reply. Scroll down and you'll see "Manage Attachments". Click that and you'll see the option to Upload. Pick the pictures from computer that you want to post here.

·
Mac's Dad
848 Posts
What a beautiful tribute ....try not to dwell on the end ....you had so much of a beginning ! The memories you have are also a tribute !!!! Sandy is running and healthy again !!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts