Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my husband is deployed I have been staying at my parents house for a lil while along with my 1 yr old GR, Zoe. My dad has a laser pointer for work and every night before he leaves Zoe looks forward to chasing after it. They do it almost every night. I keep telling my dad that it isn't good for her. He thinks i'm crazy. He thinks that it is all about how the laser can hurt her eyes, but it's not just that! It's the obsessive-compulsive behavior that I have read about. She hasn't displayed any abnormal behavior like chasing after something that isn't even on the ground but she does let him know that she is waiting for it every night.
Has anyone had any bad experiences with laser pointers with their GR? Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated! :)

·
A Deputy and his dog
167 Posts
Nothing but positive experiences. Moose loves his laser beams. We have a pointer in our drawer and I have one for aiming on my taser. When I get home from work with my duty belt on he gets excited and starts looking at the ground, same as when we open the drawer. It's hilarious to watch him run around the yard chasing it, and it's a good way to tire him out while simply standing on the porch.

We are just careful not to get it in his eyes but I think it would be a shame for a dog not to get to play with their LB's.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I know a lot of people who have them in fact I think you can buy them at Petsmart. You do want to keep it pointed at the ground. I seriously doubt the dog will look straight into the beam which is the danger.

Pretty entertaining for the dogs I have seen. I have often wondered if my dogs would play with it. I have a friend who uses it as her "agility treat". w

Ann

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone read up on the obsessive-compulsive part? That's the thing I am most worried about. It's not really the laser in her eye b/c that is something we can control. I have just heard stories about how people's dogs become obsessive-compulsive from chasing laser pointers and develop very bad habits from it and can become very neurotic.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
My dogs don't care about it at all, just look towards my hand (the source). But my cats will chase it for hours!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Has anyone read up on the obsessive-compulsive part? That's the thing I am most worried about. It's not really the laser in her eye b/c that is something we can control. I have just heard stories about how people's dogs become obsessive-compulsive from chasing laser pointers and develop very bad habits from it and can become very neurotic.
I do remember FlyingQuizini writing about that recently. She was very much against them for that reason.

I've never tried one because I don't want to play a game with my dogs that they can never win.

Reactions: tania

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I think dogs that have an obsessive compulsive temperament will find something to set them off, which might be a laser pointer (think border collie or doberman here). Dogs who are sound won't.
My 12 year old has been chasing one for years. Never had a problem. The Tito Monster has been chasing it since he was 8 weeks old, he's about as far from OCD as you can get.
I have an interesting theory.....mostly male dogs seem to be interested in it, whereas most female dogs tend to ignore it.
Any comments on that?

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Mine don't care about it beyond a casual glance, followed by looking towards my hand- male or female. However, I bet you could teach the dog to follow the laser if it always led to a piece of kibble or a treat. Might be a way to train go-outs :)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Interestingly, both of my boys LOVE to play even though they can't win. The fun seems to be in the chase.
They will go over and "point" to where we keep the laser pointer, on my husband's desk, and wait for us to get it out so they can chase it. The two of them will stand there for a long time patiently waiting for what we call "the dot".
My Toby, when he was younger, preferred it to any other game.

I agree 100%. It's nothing more than "teasing".

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I know alot of people let their dogs play with the laser but I just want to say be very careful not to do it alot. My Pawley is a adopted pup and whoever had him before must have played laser with him too much. As soon as he sees a light he goes crazy. It is any light pointed at the ground or any light that reflects. What bothers me, if I have to go outside at night with a light he is jumping at it and trying to chase it around the yard.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Since Tito already loved the laser, I did use it to train go-outs. It worked beautifully, because I would shine it where ever I wanted him to target, get him excited, and then send him out.
After a short while, I would point to where he was headed and not put the laser on until he was almost there. Then I would put it on sometimes, and sometimes not. He would go flying out to see "if" the laser would appear there or not.
It has a lot of advantages over cheese whiz....

Mine don't care about it beyond a casual glance, followed by looking towards my hand- male or female. However, I bet you could teach the dog to follow the laser if it always led to a piece of kibble or a treat. Might be a way to train go-outs :)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I guess I never even considered that with my two lazy boys. Sounds to me like it's like anything else, it depends on the temperament of the individual dog.

I know alot of people let their dogs play with the laser but I just want to say be very careful not to do it alot. My Pawley is a adopted pup and whoever had him before must have played laser with him too much. As soon as he sees a light he goes crazy. It is any light pointed at the ground or any light that reflects. What bothers me, if I have to go outside at night with a light he is jumping at it and trying to chase it around the yard.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
I have one and I let the dogs play with it sometimes. They know the pointer and when I get it will start looking for the little red light. They also know when I put it away and have never been compulsive about it. My sisters dog (rottie mix) is very compulsive about it. If she sees anything reflective (especially a laser pointer) she will obsess for hours (sometimes days) wondering where it is...

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
I have worked with two dogs with this problem, and one was pretty severe. Because of it, I won't play with dogs and them (although some dogs are ok). One,Vlad, was a young golden male and became obsessed to the point where he would track the mouse across me computer screen and try to get it.

Sally, a young yellow lab, was the worst. She literally got to the point where she would obsess over anything--light coming in from the windows, light shining from watches and jewelry. You would put her outside in a yard of other dogs and she would be totally zoned out from the other dogs. Would not play with other dogs or respond to what was going--just constantly looking for and chasing shadows and shiners. It was very sad.

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
I walk RDog in the dark every morning out at the golf course and need a flashlight. I refrained from playing with a laser just for the reason Carol mentioned - I don't want him to think of a light on the ground as playtime. It's hard enough to keep him away from the skunks!!! LOL

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
wow, that's wild, and I would have never even thought of it. Guess I've been lucky with my dogs!
I learned something new today, as I so often do from the forum!

I have worked with two dogs with this problem, and one was pretty severe. Because of it, I won't play with dogs and them (although some dogs are ok). One,Vlad, was a young golden male and became obsessed to the point where he would track the mouse across me computer screen and try to get it.

Sally, a young yellow lab, was the worst. She literally got to the point where she would obsess over anything--light coming in from the windows, light shining from watches and jewelry. You would put her outside in a yard of other dogs and she would be totally zoned out from the other dogs. Would not play with other dogs or respond to what was going--just constantly looking for and chasing shadows and shiners. It was very sad.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts