Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
We're ready for spring!
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on my Ziggy a little while ago. Wish I could get a clearer picture, but...

It doesn't look like a hemangio lesion in my opinion because it's not red at all and doesn't seem painful when I palpate it. It looks more like a bunch of skin all shriveled up like a raison...you know when skin gets wet for a long time? Maybe because it's at his upper, inner lip that's what happening....I mean the shrivel look. His lymph nodes in his neck don't seem to be inflammed, but it's hard to judge.

It also doesn't feel fluid filled and it's like a little ball hanging from his lip - not a growth erupting from his lip, more like something "attached" to his lip. It honestly just feels like a big skin tag. I'm definitely calling the vet to have it checked out, but anyone ever seen anything like this?

Gotta go for now, but will check back later...thanks.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
sorry, don't know what it is. A call to the vet for sure! Let us know what the vet says please.

·
We're ready for spring!
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That thing is huge, relatively speaking. It's about 8-10 mm in diameter. It just popped up. Crazy. Now I'm worried. Seems things like this always happen at the most inopportune times! LOL!

Definitely will let you know...

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Viral papilloma, for sure. Harmless but inconvenient and not attractive depending on how the virus runs its course. There will probably be more before it's over. It is contagious by direct contact with the papilloma to other dogs, mostly younger dogs or dogs with weakened immune systems.

Relax, Ziggy is going to be fine. Daisy had this when she was much younger and it didn't phase her at all ... except for the fact that I had to take her out of dog daycare -- that definitely phased both of us :( But the virus itself is harmless. It will be gone in 4-6 weeks. No treatment that I'm aware of, just takes time to pass.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Interesting, when Daisy got it and I took her to the vet, he said he hadn't seen a case in some 20+ years. This was about 8 years ago. Now it seems like we're hearing about this virus a lot. I think our dogs are so much more social these days, I bet the vets are seeing more and more of it now.

How old is Ziggy? Is he under a year or around that age?

·
2,309 Posts
Yup, it's a puppy wart. Augie had one as a puppy and they are harmless. I think the vet said once they get one they don't get it again.

·
We're ready for spring!
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Viola! That's it! It looks like a wart!

I knew there was a better way to describe this thing. I appreciate the replies immensely. When he smiled up at me today and I saw that thing I thought, oh sheesh what now!

Ziggy's 16 months old exactly in two days. Glad to hear about the immunity thing.

I guess I should I expect more of these things in other areas. I'll keep an eye out. Definitely no socializing for a few weeks.

Okay, gotta go back to preparing for tomorrow. I've got 10 people coming!! ACK!

Thanks again and Happy Turkey Day!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
You'll only find them along the inside of his mouth, around his gum line. It's an oral virus.

Any idea where he could have got this? He had to have come in direct contact with another dog that had it. Has he been in dog daycare?

·
We're ready for spring!
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info Jo Ellen!

I'm not quite sure where he may have been exposed. We haven't been to the dog park for a while mostly because he not neutered yet and I don't have the need for boarding of any kind. We do run into neighborhood dogs on walks...

I wonder if the virus can live outside it's host for while? Could he have picked it up from somewhere a dog with the virus has recently been like a park or something like that?

Just happy it's not serious. Still going to vet. I have to finally shcedule his neuter anyway.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I've read that the virus is only transmitted through direct contact with a papilloma. Maybe we don't know for sure though. I never did find out how Daisy caught it. She was in dog daycare at the time but the staff told me there was no other dog there that had it.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I wouldn't take him to the vet for it, as others said, it's extremely likely that it is canine papilloma virus and as long as he isn't bothered by it,it is not harmful to him, just ugly with its cauleyflower-like texture and appearance. It will go away on its own in a couple of weeks to a month, and you may see a few more pop up in the meantime.

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
Gosh. I've never heard of this. I'm so glad I found this forum. I learn the best stuff. I am also extremely relieved that Ziggy will be just fine and it does look worse than it is. Whew!

·
We're ready for spring!
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They can get it from toys that affected dogs have played with.
So it does live outside it's host. We found a cool ball at the park a couple of weeks ago...:uhoh:

Yikes, I'll never let him do that again. Do I need to get rid of his antler or other toys?

·
We're ready for spring!
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wouldn't take him to the vet for it, as others said, it's extremely likely that it is canine papilloma virus and as long as he isn't bothered by it,it is not harmful to him, just ugly with its cauleyflower-like texture and appearance. It will go away on its own in a couple of weeks to a month, and you may see a few more pop up in the meantime.
Thanks. This is a real relief. (except for the more will pop up part :) )

·
We're ready for spring!
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've read that the virus is only transmitted through direct contact with a papilloma. Maybe we don't know for sure though. I never did find out how Daisy caught it. She was in dog daycare at the time but the staff told me there was no other dog there that had it.
I will probably never know either. It's good to be aware of what this is though. So many nasties our little friends can catch!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts