Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Our golden, Snitch, is 14 weeks old. He's been wonderful so far, our only trouble has been his tummy. He tested negative for everything and is now doing ok with I/D food, Tylan, and a probiotic. We will need to try transitioning his from the I/D onto a large breed puppy food again at some point. We previously tried Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy but it gave him diarrhea. Any recommendations for a large breed food that may be gentle on a sensitive stomach?

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,373 Posts
Purina Pro Plan makes a Sensitive Skin and Stomach large breed puppy food.

I've fed the Adult PPP SSS for many years, it worked great for my guys.
I bought the Salmon formula.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Purina Pro Plan makes a Sensitive Skin and Stomach large breed puppy food.

I've fed the Adult PPP SSS for many years, it worked great for my guys.
I bought the Salmon formula.
Thank you - I'm only seeing large breed adult or regular puppy? I don't see a large breed puppy for Sensitive Skin and Stomach.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at different retailers websites, some are showing it as just SSS puppy food and not large breed.
It looks like the large breed is not currently available and they recently changed to just regular puppy but it meets AAFCO guidelines so we will try that next. Thank you again for your help!

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,373 Posts
I adopted my boy at age 2, he had stomach issues and was underweight by 15-20 lbs. I tried several brands and formulas. Forum members recommended the PPP SSS Salmon, within a few days I noticed a difference in his stool.

I was at the point where everything I had tried wasn't working and I had nothing lose by trying it.
I continued feeding it the last 10 years. As bonus, my guys have had great coats with no hotspots.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We had to go through a lot of trial and error because of our puppy’s tummy. We tried PPP (not sensitive stomach) but it didn’t work for us. I know lots of people on here have great things to say about this one though. Then we tried Hills- both this and PPP based on the vet’s suggestion. Our pup loved the food for both but neither did well on his tummy. We tried very, very slow transitions and that still did nothing once we would get up to 50/50. Our vet did warn us this could be a lot of trial and error.

We ended up going to our local natural pet store to try something new and they suggested a few large breed puppy foods but we chose one called Nulo Challenger- it is a grain inclusive large breed puppy food but has no corn, soy, wheat, legumes, potatoes. We did a very slow transition and he did great. He loves it and we are on 100% of that (mixing in a bit of the rx wet food since we have some remaining) and he has loved it.

I am no food expert, this is just what worked for us. I think each dog will be different but I know that this worked for us.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you! It's encouraging to hear that this will get resolved at some point. We've had our little guy for 5 weeks and it's been a struggle to keep his tummy happy. There's nothing quite like a 2am puppy bath to clean off diarrhea!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you! It's encouraging to hear that this will get resolved at some point. We've had our little guy for 5 weeks and it's been a struggle to keep his tummy happy. There's nothing quite like a 2am puppy bath to clean off diarrhea!
Oh yes! We dealt with all of that. Our vet was saying she has seen a lot more puppies with tummy issues recently than she has in a while. It took us a few months to figure it out so I hope you find something sooner! Good luck!

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,373 Posts
We had to go through a lot of trial and error because of our puppy’s tummy. We tried PPP (not sensitive stomach) but it didn’t work for us. I know lots of people on here have great things to say about this one though. Then we tried Hills- both this and PPP based on the vet’s suggestion. Our pup loved the food for both but neither did well on his tummy. We tried very, very slow transitions and that still did nothing once we would get up to 50/50. Our vet did warn us this could be a lot of trial and error.

We ended up going to our local natural pet store to try something new and they suggested a few large breed puppy foods but we chose one called Nulo Challenger- it is a grain inclusive large breed puppy food but has no corn, soy, wheat, legumes, potatoes. We did a very slow transition and he did great. He loves it and we are on 100% of that (mixing in a bit of the rx wet food since we have some remaining) and he has loved it.

I am no food expert, this is just what worked for us. I think each dog will be different but I know that this worked for us.

Good luck!
I looked at their website, what protein source did you go with that is working so well?

Curious since there is several varieties.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,595 Posts
How much PPP were you feeding him? The reason I ask is that BY FAR the #1 reason for puppies to have diarrhea isn't intestinal parasites or stomach sensitivity, it's over-feeding. And #2 way down is intestinal parasites, which are notorious for eluding tests and being difficult to eradicate.

A tiny bit of Tylan is so strong, if that doesn't clear him up real quick, I'm sure you've got a problem other than sensitive tummy.

The reason I ask is that 14-week old Golden puppies are usually trash cans, eating anything that will go in their mouths. Their tummies aren't particularly sensitive, like some breeds. But lots of people -- vets included -- immediately assume the problem is a sensitivity issue or protein allergy, when statistically it's usually something else. And, of course, #1 and #2 are over-feeding and parasites. The former is easy to correct, the latter extremely difficult to diagnose and eradicate. But both of those are far, far more common than sensitive tummies. Food allergies are one of the most common misdiagnoses in dogs. Just something to be aware of. I've seen people at wits end with their food allergic or sensitive tummy dogs, only to have the problem clear up in a jiffy when it is properly diagnosed.

Reactions: Shugaplum

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How much PPP were you feeding him? The reason I ask is that BY FAR the #1 reason for puppies to have diarrhea isn't intestinal parasites or stomach sensitivity, it's over-feeding. And #2 way down is intestinal parasites, which are notorious for eluding tests and being difficult to eradicate.

A tiny bit of Tylan is so strong, if that doesn't clear him up real quick, I'm sure you've got a problem other than sensitive tummy.
He was getting 4 small meals a day, I don't remember exact amounts since its been a few weeks now since he was on it and we were slowly mixing it in with wet I/D. He is now currently getting 1/2 a cup of dry I/D 4x a day. With that, the tylan, and probiotic, he has been good so far. He previously had no issues with the breeder, but we are finding his tummy definitely responds to stress. We put a new bed in his crate one night and it stressed him and caused him to have nighttime diarrhea!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts