Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Nellie was traditional. No problems. Giggles was traditional. Pebbles was Lap Spay. No problems.

It's Sandy's turn. We are thinking of doing lap spay with her. It's about $400 more, but it's less invasive and she doesn't have to stay overnight.

Any reason not to do the lap spay? Thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,036 Posts
Hi.

Nellie was traditional. No problems. Giggles was traditional. Pebbles was Lap Spay. No problems.

It's Sandy's turn. We are thinking of doing lap spay with her. It's about $400 more, but it's less invasive and she doesn't have to stay overnight.

Any reason not to do the lap spay? Thoughts?

Thanks.
Hmm, in a Lap spay, they leave the uterus I believe. leaving any of the uterus leaves a chance of still developing pyometra (infection of the uterus). If that develops then you have to do another spay to remove the uterus to clear the infection. This is why I chose not to do an ovary sparring spay since they take JUST the uterus, but if any small portion of the uterus is left behind (uteran stump) the risk of pyometra is still there. So my choice was that Maggie will stay intact.

In a laparoscopic spay, aka ovariectomy, only the ovaries are removed. Fewer surgical cuts are made to the dog’s reproductive organs which means less bleeding and trauma.

In traditional spay, aka overiohysterectomy, the surgeon removes the ovaries and the uterus. This is more invasive and can be more painful.

So for me, the options are only a full spay or to leave intact unless there is a pyo infection then do the spay. I don't want the risk/chance of having to do surgery for the same thing twice. And since there are many more benefits for leaving intact, that's what I chose.

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
A traditional spay should not mean your dog needs to stay overnight. Mine didn't (and not because I asked; they don't keep any dogs overnight after spay or neuter, as long as they come out of the anesthesia well). If your clinic insists on it, make sure you know whether there is actually staff there overnight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts