Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
LOL....This would be the stage when your hands are shedded and red from the blood that your pups have golden puppy has managed to extract. The two most common training aids I've seen suggested here on the forum are "coating your hands with "Bitter Apple" and keeping lots of toys to offer up as something more appropriate to chew.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have a 13 week old who has done absolutely no mouthing.
I have made sure that he has chew toys and bully straps to chew.
He also has yet to chew on anything inappropriate.
It has worked since he came home at 9 weeks old. Hopefully it continues to work.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Coop has been like this too, but he is a laid back guy but never been mouthy, but Kye, well she kept my hands bloody, still does by accident if her nails scrape across my old skin. She used our hands/arms as play things during those first 4 1/2 months. I know I have scars.

Main thing is Sharky means pups that put their mouth on your hands, body, any place they can grab on a human and their teeth are like razors. It is a stage that thankfully leaves when adult teeth come in and a constant in our golden puppies who are known to be mouthy. Be glad you have a more calm pup, but don't be surprised if she becomes more mouthy as she loses puppy teeth.

But Coop never did, he also doesn't retrieve! We call him the Professor because he always seems to be studying Kye and us. Very smart, but does things in his own alternative universe perspective.

·
Bailey Boy~ Best Friend
409 Posts
I had no idea either 5 months ago until I finally figured it out reading threads on GRF.
Best, best best advice I received was:
-When in question, crate puppy as he would seek and chew on whatever was available if I were not there to redirect to chew toys.
-Trade for appropriate chew toys and DON'T be frustrated or think you are doing things incorrectly if your pup doesn't respond to what you are trading for. Keep at it.
-Be comfortable in giving pup a "time in" - sorry I'm an SLP - to regroup and calm in his crate when you need a break as well. This worked really well with Bello. At about 4 months when we started pup class our trainer said to use the three rule at this point. 1) replace, 2) replace again and consider if you are the prompt for his actions and 3) time in in his crate. Never make the crate a bad thing, but use it as a tool for safety and training.

It was crazy with Bello. And it does pass~At which point the teens sneak in. Where we are as of today :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts