Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
lizandhector
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today during puppy class the pups got a chance to play with each other. Zoey is extremely social and loves other dogs and played nicely and ran around. The instructor noticed that she had a strange gait. This has always beeen Zoey's way of running so I thought this was just her "puppiness" and with age would become more coordinated. However the instructor was concerned and said she was "lame." She had another instructor come over and watch her run and both agreed that she was lame and needed to be checked out by the vet.

I felt so horrible because I had noticed that she ran differently, but just thought it was because she was a puppy and would out grow it. I intend to make an appointment with our vet this week. She is only 6 months old and I am worried. Has anyone had any similar experiences? Does anyone know what could be wrong? Will it go away? I know hip dysplasia can be a concern for Goldens. I guess I am just looking for any info before going to the vet. Thanks!!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I haven't experienced this but wish you and Zoey the best of luck. Please keep us posted with what the vet says.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Panosteitis is pretty common in large breed puppies also. You can google it for detailed information, but basically it's inflammation of the long bones of the legs that causes them to limp. It appears anytime between 5 months and 2 years of age. The good news is it's temporary and they outgrow it. I hope this is all it is, but a full exam and maybe xrays from your vet are in order.
Edited to add: Blood tests for tick borne diseases should also be done in cases of lameness to rule that out.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Don't feel bad; making the assumption that it was just her puppy gangliness is normal. Get her into your vet for a once over and some x-rays if they think it's necessary. Does she bunny hop, where both hind legs are together? If so, a vet would need to diagnose the cause, as there are more than one possible culprit.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Puppies go through all kinds of awkward stages that can look like bad gait, and they can suffer from lots of minor conditions that can create a limp. If she really seems to be favoring a leg, or even if the limp moves around, definitely get a SNAP 4Dx test at the vet. Pano is also a real possibility in a young dog. Still, it could easily be nothing at all.

Comet, for example, broke gait on his trot when he was younger. There'd be three or four normal steps and then a little hitch. A puppy class instructor made me absolutely paranoid about it, but he's two now and moves beautifully. He still breaks his gait once in a while, but it seems more like it's sheer exuberance and joie de vivre more than anything else. There's no indication that there was ever anything physically wrong.

·
lizandhector
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Puppies go through all kinds of awkward stages that can look like bad gait, and they can suffer from lots of minor conditions that can create a limp. If she really seems to be favoring a leg, or even if the limp moves around, definitely get a SNAP 4Dx test at the vet. Pano is also a real possibility in a young dog. Still, it could easily be nothing at all.

Comet, for example, broke gait on his trot when he was younger. There'd be three or four normal steps and then a little hitch. A puppy class instructor made me absolutely paranoid about it, but he's two now and moves beautifully. He still breaks his gait once in a while, but it seems more like it's sheer exuberance and joie de vivre more than anything else. There's no indication that there was ever anything physically wrong.

Thank you so much. This does ease my mind. I am sure whatever it is, it will be fine and we will deal with it. It really helps to hear you story and makes me feel better. Thank you for sharing. Just out of curiosity, what is a SNAP 4Dx ? I am not familiar with this.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
That is a test for tick diseases. They are not an issue where I live, though, so I'm not too familiar with it. I just had my six month old German Shepherd's hips X rayed for some extra peace of mind. They came back great. Hopefully the same for you!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Thank you so much. This does ease my mind. I am sure whatever it is, it will be fine and we will deal with it. It really helps to hear you story and makes me feel better. Thank you for sharing. Just out of curiosity, what is a SNAP 4Dx ? I am not familiar with this.
It's a blood test that checks for heartworm (irrelevant here) and three tick-borne diseases (Lyme, Anaplasmosis, and Ehrlichiosis). All three of those TBDs can cause intermittent lameness, so if you're seeing limping, particularly limping that comes and goes or migrates from limb to limb, it's really important to check for TBDs, since they can be fatal if left untreated.

Out of curiosity, did the instructor make a more specific comment about what she thought was causing the lameness or where it was located? Was there a particular leg she was favoring?

·
lizandhector
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Out of curiosity, did the instructor make a more specific comment about what she thought was causing the lameness or where it was located? Was there a particular leg she was favoring?

She felt that her left hip was where the lameness was located and suggested X-Rays from the vet. Thanks for the info on the SNAP 4Dx test. I will request this from the vet to be on the safe side.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
She felt that her left hip was where the lameness was located and suggested X-Rays from the vet. Thanks for the info on the SNAP 4Dx test. I will request this from the vet to be on the safe side.
She looks like she's favoring the back left leg? There are a ton of things it could be. Pano's a common one, as are the TBDs (especially Lyme). Pups can also get luxating patellas in the hind legs (that's when the "kneecap" comes loose). Hip dysplasia is also a possibility, but it would have to be fairly severe to show up in a young puppy. Did her parents have OFA hip clearances?

·
lizandhector
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She looks like she's favoring the back left leg? There are a ton of things it could be. Pano's a common one, as are the TBDs (especially Lyme). Pups can also get luxating patellas in the hind legs (that's when the "kneecap" comes loose). Hip dysplasia is also a possibility, but it would have to be fairly severe to show up in a young puppy. Did her parents have OFA hip clearances?

I am not sure about her parents. I am going to call the breeder tomorrow. I believe they were, but I am not sure. If it was something like Lymes disease, is that something that is treatable, or does she have that for the rest of her life? And yes, she is favoring the back left leg. Thanks for all your info! :) You sure do know a lot!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Im sorry you are dealing with this...I hope ts something easily taken care of. please let us know. Good thoughts and prayers to you and your sweet pup.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I am not sure about her parents. I am going to call the breeder tomorrow. I believe they were, but I am not sure. If it was something like Lymes disease, is that something that is treatable, or does she have that for the rest of her life? And yes, she is favoring the back left leg. Thanks for all your info! :)
Lyme is curable. It responds well to tetracycline antibiotics like doxycycline. You have to keep an eye on it for the rest of the dog's life, since it's easy to get reinfected and occasionally one round of doxycycline doesn't quite kill it, but most dogs are just fine after treatment.

I was just curious about the parents' clearances. Even when the clearances are good there's still a chance that a pup can have HD. Your vet can evaluate the limp and decide if an x-ray is worth it, but in a pup that young, I don't see why an x-ray would be necessary unless the dog was in obvious pain.

The vet can test for an LP just by using his or her hands. HD and pano would both require x-rays to confirm, and pano is hard to diagnose even with an x-ray.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I felt so horrible because I had noticed that she ran differently, but just thought it was because she was a puppy and would out grow it. I intend to make an appointment with our vet this week. She is only 6 months old and I am worried. Has anyone had any similar experiences? Does anyone know what could be wrong? Will it go away? I know hip dysplasia can be a concern for Goldens. I guess I am just looking for any info before going to the vet. Thanks!!
First of all I know EXACTLY how you feel. It happened to me. I kept seeing what I thought was lameness and thought, I am imagining it....puppies can't be lame. I hope it turns out for you to be nothing but growth issues or pano, which can be painful but they get past it usually just fine.

Please do not panic even if you find out something is wrong. I am hoping strong :crossfing you do not. "IF" your pup is diagnosed with something like hip dysplasia, there is life. And it can be a very good life, with management from you. That was my pups dx. It was not easy but she is doing GREAT now and loves to run with her tail on fire. Keep everything in perspective until you see your vet and get the proper opinion.

Keep us posted.

Ann

·
lizandhector
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all,

I just wanted to say thank you for all the good wishes and advice and possibilities that could be bothering Zoey. I took her to the vet today and the vet did a physical exam and noticed there might be some discomfort for her when her legs are straightened, but she was having a hard time because Zoey just kept wiggling all around when she was being examined. :) She suggested doing some x-rays, and we are going to plan to do it when she is spayed since she will be under and x-raying will be easier. That will happen on the 28th of this month. The vet did not seem overly concerned but wanted more info from the x-rays.

I feel much better after seeing the vet today. It felt good because she didn't see anything alarming at this point, but did want to look into it further.

Just thought I would let you all know and wanted to say thanks again!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts