Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot believe it!!!! Lady was digging in the corner of the fence and would not stop so my husband went to see what was keeping her and a small snake slithered away, I checked on Lady and sure enough she had a bite on the left side of the face :doh:, my husband has killed the snake ( we don't even know what kind of snake it was) and is on his way to the emergency vet with our sweet Lady, please send positive thoughs that is nothing serious!!!!:crossfing

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DO you have the snake still? You should take it in to the vet with you in case they need to identify it.
Yes yes, my husband bagged it and is taking it with him, he just called, he is 5 minutes away from the vet and Lady's face is swelling by the minute, I hate hate hate snakes!!!!!

I will update when I know something.

God please don't let it be something serious!!!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Lady

Praying for Lady-did your Husband take the snake-if not, can you describe exactly what it looks like?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Praying for Lady-did your Husband take the snake-if not, can you describe exactly what it looks like?
Yes, he did take the snake, it was small, about 6 inches or so, I have no idea what kind, but the neighbor told me to be careful with water mocassins when we first moved in so I don't know if it's that kind, I know those are venomous, now I am all freaked out and do not want the dogs or kids in the backyard!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you called ahead so they are expecting him? Let them know she's swelling so that can have medication ready.

Yes, we called them and they told us to call our vet and have her put a referral in, I called our vet as my husband was leaving and she put the referral in right away. Have any of you dealt with a snake bite before? I am hoping since she weights 68 pounds that the damage is minimal, my poor baby!!!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Not personally, but have known several people who have. Quick treatment is key. So she has that ( and her size) going for her.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
If it was brightly colored (yellow and black) it could be a coral snake. They will know as soon as he shows it to them. Keeping fingers crossed it was not and they have antivenom ready. Hang in there....

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Cocker&Golden

Cocker&Golden

I am sure once your Husband gets her to vet, they will treat her. Glad he has the snake. I think RANGER has dealt with Snake bites. I don't blame you for being afraid to let them out cause of the snakes.

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
I have personally been bitten by a snake. I handled that better than I would if my dog had been bitten. I look constantly when I am walking Dexter, but living on the river is snake territory. Luckily for me the penetration was minimal and no venom was injected (I was bitten by a water moccasin). I hope Lady is okay! Thankfully your husband is getting there quickly, hopefully it was just a garden snake!

Reactions: Cocker+GoldenR

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it was brightly colored (yellow and black) it could be a coral snake. They will know as soon as he shows it to them. Keeping fingers crossed it was not and they have antivenom ready. Hang in there....

It was dark colored with a little bit of a tan pattern and a small head, I do think it looks like a water mocassin :no:!!! Thank you for your support!!!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
That is much better then a coral snake and your dog has a wonderful chance at full recovery...please let us know how it goes....

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have personally been bitten by a snake. I handled that better than I would if my dog had been bitten. I look constantly when I am walking Dexter, but living on the river is snake territory. Luckily for me the penetration was minimal and no venom was injected (I was bitten by a water moccasin). I hope Lady is okay! Thankfully your husband is getting there quickly, hopefully it was just a garden snake!

OMG!!! how scary!!! I am scared to death of snakes!!! when we first moved here the neighbors warned us, but this is the very first time we have seen one, and I just about passed out!!!

The vet is with them now, will update when I know more. Thanks Y'all!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got an update, It indeed was a baby water mocassin, gonna give her the antivenom, 900$ a vial!!! I think I am gonna be sick

1 - 20 of 135 Posts