Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turn in the puppies next week (September 25) to the service dog organization and then off they'll go to volunteer puppy raisers across the US.

Washington: 1
California: 2
Texas: 2
Indiana: 1
Missouri: 1
Unknown: 2 (Still trying to find out who their Volunteer Puppy Raiser will be!)

Can you spot which ones are crosses and which ones are full labs? I'll know for sure once the DNA test results arrive.

In picture order, they are:

1. Magnolia
2. MaLynn
3. Mavis
4. Miner (with Mommy Maisy)
5. Minerva
6. Mochi
7. Mordy (with Mommy Maisy)
8. Mowgli
9. Marlowe

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For the two unknowns, I will learn at turn-in which region of the country they're going. This will possibly help me find their puppy raiser since I have contacts in each region of the country. It's always sad when a puppy just disappears into the void. But, it's something you accept as a volunteer. Some Puppy Raisers aren't into social media so they just don't reach out.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I would also guess the fuzzier ones and maybe Mowgli. Please give us the update when you find out. They are beautiful healthy looking pups. Good job!

·
Registered
12,711 Posts
K - I also think they all look like Labs. But knowing there are some mixes... my guesses for the Golden-Labs are:

Mavis
Miner
Maaaybe Mochi
Mowgli.

PS Love the names Magnolia and MaLynn (who was the Steel Magnolias fan?!)

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
K - I also think they all look like Labs. But knowing there are some mixes... my guesses for the Golden-Labs are:

Mavis
Miner
Maaaybe Mochi
Mowgli.

PS Love the names Magnolia and MaLynn (who was the Steel Magnolias fan?!)

Me. I've probably seen that movie 30 times. So, I had to try and get a Magnolia and MaLynn. I was so happy that the organization picked those suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They all look like labs to me...

I'm thinking a couple are crosses but my good friend who is also a breeder caretaker with the organization had a litter earlier this summer. I helped whelp that litter. I was convinced one of them was a cross. Turned out the DNA test results showed that all 5 in that litter were full labs. I'll be looking forward to the DNA results on this bunch.

·
Registered
258 Posts
They're all beautiful seeing them reminded me of how exited we were the day we took home JP, a golden/lab cross, as puppy raisers, he was about 8 weeks old. Sadly for the foundation but it worked out well for us he was released do to an allergy to dust mites that he still suffers from. The photo is of he and David the day he came home. David was also released to us do to anxiety colitis only weeks earlier. They are now working with us as Therapy Dogs you can see they are still good friends from my profile picture.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GoldenDude... did the DNA tests come back yet on the litter?

Not yet. I think the service dog organization groups them into batches and then ships them off. I'm betting I'll get them sometime in November. Because nearly every litter has the potential of two or more sires, it's a lot of DNA testing. I'm betting they must have some cost savings arrangement with the lab. I figure they either batch the lab work or agree to be at the back of the line.

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They're all beautiful seeing them reminded me of how exited we were the day we took home JP, a golden/lab cross, as puppy raisers, he was about 8 weeks old. Sadly for the foundation but it worked out well for us he was released do to an allergy to dust mites that he still suffers from. The photo is of he and David the day he came home. David was also released to us do to anxiety colitis only weeks earlier. They are now working with us as Therapy Dogs you can see they are still good friends from my profile picture.

The organization I volunteer with is thinking about adding a therapy dog program. A lot of the dogs who get released wind up doing therapy work, but the organization doesn't get any acknowledgment since the dogs have been released. (When you're a non-profit dependent on donations, it's wise to receive acknowledgment whenever you can.) Plus, the organization is hopeful that by participating in both service dogs and therapy dogs, it can have a bigger voice in the service dog fraud conversation.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The organization I volunteer with is thinking about adding a therapy dog program. A lot of the dogs who get released wind up doing therapy work, but the organization doesn't get any acknowledgment since the dogs have been released. (When you're a non-profit dependent on donations, it's wise to receive acknowledgment whenever you can.) Plus, the organization is hopeful that by participating in both service dogs and therapy dogs, it can have a bigger voice in the service dog fraud conversation.
That sounds like a great idea for all the reasons you mentioned. My boys were released from The Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind and now represent Therapy Dogs International, both worthy organizations but I would have loved to continue our association with the former since we are local to them and it would have been nice to have the continued support of the training staff. It was very nice to have a puppy advisor available to call when we had a concern.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My wife and I just attended the 2020 graduation and matriculation ceremony for this organization yesterday. One of these pups might end up being my pal! It was fascinating watching the variety of appearance. A few of the blacks looked like flat coats, most looked like labs with short feathers either color.

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My wife and I just attended the 2020 graduation and matriculation ceremony for this organization yesterday. One of these pups might end up being my pal! It was fascinating watching the variety of appearance. A few of the blacks looked like flat coats, most looked like labs with short feathers either color.
This litter turned out to be sired entirely by the Golden, so they are all Lab-Golden crosses.

5 of the 8 dogs from our first litter are still in advanced training. (Three were career changed, already.) If all 5 make it, they will rotate through the next Team Training and graduate in May! So excited to see if they make it.

Our second litter turns in for Advanced Training in May. That litter has 4 girls and 2 boys. I am hoping that one of the 4 girls will be selected as a breeder so that I can whelp my girl’s grandpups!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had no idea they were cross breeding till yesterday. It makes sense after having a conversation with a Vet who also is a raiser. She was turning in a handsome cross who had more Golden in him for advanced training. Totally admire what you folks do. Thank you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts